Rear hubs

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albie5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any tips to remove rear hubs (1971 Bay) wheels haven't moved in years (restoration project) Have backed off adjusters, even squirted WD40 through backplate. Think brake shoes are stuck fast on hubs. Tyres have correct pressures. Tried towing bus with another vehicle to crack them free - wheels just dragged across the ground. Would a puller work in a situation like this? ( I'd have to buy one) Many thanks.

I don't suppose you've got the engine running? Heh.

Maybe bolt your driveshaft to a length of angle and try to turn it.

Other than that, drums come off more easily when you've got the tyre on and can wiggle 'em a bit better.

You could try heating the outside of the drums? The change in temperature, plus a few taps with a rubber mallet, may cause the brake shoe material to unstick from the drum? :character0036:

Dont be afraid to whack them hard with a lump hammer! :mrgreen:

If they are really really stuck, then you'll be cutting them off!

Clem said:
If they are really really stuck, then you'll be cutting them off!

I had to cut one off, not because of the brake shoes, instead the drum had seized to the spindle! :character0036: :character0036:

Not a nice job. :|

UK Bus :roll:

Those spindles are pricey too- especially pre'71 jobs.... If the drum needs to get dead that's one thing, but try to keep the spindle intact :)

Thanks again
Cutting off is worse case scenario - hope it doesn't come to that.
Engine is out - maybe not enough weight across back axle (when I tried towing) ?
Cheers ! :)

Latest posts