Rear light question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clyde

Reaction score
Ive got a 69 US bus, so its got the nice chrome SWF surrounds and the all red glass.
My question is can i replace the single buld holders ive got for ones that take 2 bulds and so run stop/tail and red flashers.
This shouldnt be a problem legally as my bus dosent require orange indicators as it never came with any. I just fancy running a stop/tail and a red flasher and get rid of the reverse lights that ive changed over to act as indicators.
Is that clear.............ive had some wine and beer so my thought pattern may be abit wonky.

clyde said:
Ive got a 69 US bus, so its got the nice chrome SWF surrounds and the all red glass.
My question is can i replace the single buld holders ive got for ones that take 2 bulds and so run stop/tail and red flashers.
This shouldnt be a problem legally as my bus dosent require orange indicators as it never came with any. I just fancy running a stop/tail and a red flasher and get rid of the reverse lights that ive changed over to act as indicators.
Is that clear.............ive had some wine and beer so my thought pattern may be abit wonky.

As far as I'm aware even though your bus was never fitted with them, for a UK MOT any vehicle manufactured after 1 September 1965 requires an amber flashing indicator.

"that every direction indicator emits amber light, except vehicles first used before 1 September 1965 where both front indicators may be white and both rear indicators red"

I may be wrong though, just trying to help.

As Jabbo said when Mot time comes you will probably fail but easiest solution is to have a set of Euro spec rear light lenses just for the test and swap back after.

But i take it you have been running with your rear flashers wired to your reverse lights now, as US spec vans used the same wire for flashers and stop light.. so when you where braking and say turning left only right brake light would be on steady and left would flash.

so you would need to disconnect this system and run an extra wire to connect the offside/right indicator as there is no prevision for this

hope this makes sence

jon

:?

yep would agree with above you have to have flashing amber indicators.i wouldnt suggest changing back to all red after mot either as the boys in blue will still do you and its not worth the £60 fine and 3 points .i have the same set up on mine with the flashers in the reverse lights i quite like it but opinions vary

Araon said:
Tis true you should fail the MOT.... although thats not always the case....

tis true, both my 69s required an orange indicator, i kept my red lenses, and changed my reversing lights with orange bulbs :wink:

Clyde - I have done what you want to do to your van. They fit straight on.
I break the law with red lenz all year then swap to amber for MOT day.

There is an arguement about the red lenz being legal or not due to our vans being US spec and the UK mot laws(65 and before)..... grey area...

Cheers folks, not to worried about the MOT man, it never failed before i changed the red flashing brake light to a orange flashing reverse light.

As it is at the moment
Reverse lights converted to indicators
Red tail light on and brighter when braking (like most cars)

I want
Red tail light on and brighter when braking
Lower red section to flash as indicator

Is this your set up Daz? I dont want to go for Red/Amber lenses as im not keen on the look and they never fit well with the nice SWF lens surrounds.
Just fancy the cleaner look so thinking of getting rid of the reverse lights during a slight resto.

Cheers daz, so euro spec 2 bulb holders line straight up with the SWF lenses. Ill be on the blower tomorrow to the VW shops.

I saw a post on here before that gives a good tip.Paint your indicator bulb bright green and it will flash orange through a red lense.I haven't tried this yet,but I will soon as I have fitted red lenses to mine,but carry a set of oranges with me just in case,so I can swap them over.

Forgot to say,that way you can still have your reverse lights working properly if you have them,keep the good looks and stay within the law.

My indicators aer at the top though? Why do you want them at the bottom Clyde? Is it the only way with a US bus?

The top section on US lights is the stop/tail/indicator and the lower section is lank with a reflector on it.
Want to use this as the indicator as the top one works better as a light, so if someone cant see where in going i get the finker and some abuse. If they cant see me at all i get them in the arse as it were.

VWAIRCOOLED said:
I saw a post on here before that gives a good tip.Paint your indicator bulb bright green and it will flash orange through a red lense.I haven't tried this yet,but I will soon as I have fitted red lenses to mine,but carry a set of oranges with me just in case,so I can swap them over.

you can buy em from loads of places already green (and LEDS aswell!) looks better as is more of an even colour :wink: