relay part numbers?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronmidg

Reaction score
have no main beam at the moment so looking at the relays there are two under the fuse box. One is 2(4)x21w and 3 terminals pn 111-953-227A, the other 2x150w pn 411-941-583B with 5 terminals which I guess is the headlights. VW heritage has the 111-953-227 but with subscript D, but not the head light relay, their number is 111-941-583/AC. Are these interchangeable?

I have a couple of the relays your after thanks to Steve 67 Bay pm your address and I'll see what I have and stick something in the post....

thanks Araon

In order to read the part numbers I took the relays off, now trying to replace and seeing the underside of the fuse box for the first time its a multiple choice puzzle to re-assemble. :oops:

is there a picture anywhere that shows the relays asembled?

I could only find one position that the 5 blade relay would fit, on the extreme right hand end.

the indicator relay (3 blade) seems to fit best in the centre option, but now the indicators are faulty too, turning on the indicator either way gives a very fast weak flash, same result if turn on the hazard switch

DSCF0777.jpg

Buzzer 2 blade....Indicators 3 blade....spare....spare....Headlamps 5 blade

the three blade relay as shown above has been moved from its original position ie the one to the right, it will easily fit in either position but only in one orientation.

DSCF0776.jpg

and the 5 blade

this is how I had tried and it not worked,

relaysphoto.jpg

tried again after seeing your photo with same result, started the engine and tried again, now it works, at least it is back to where it was, the indicaters/hazards works, but mainbeams dont. I ordered the VW heritage parts, figured they must work if they fit, and if they dont fit can make short extensions to hang the relays on.

your photo is unique, my early bay Haynes manual strips a '68, has a picture but its different, and my late bay manual (for the later engines) is post 72, and they look different too.

Thanks again Araon

the final twist, fitted the new headlight relay and made no difference, ditto with engine running. So switch out next, the two metal plates that hold the innards together were less than perfectly tight, gave the bent tags a bit of a squeeze with the moles and hey presto the relay starts clicking with a tug on the switch, same result with the old relay back in :lol:

now I know where the relays are hidden, and I have a spare

Latest posts