Ret my 1972 Dormobile project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hoping there should be enough to make awning curtains too.
got 11 metres for about £22 on ebay 8) hopefully its going to save me a fortune, to send elsewhere :mrgreen:

As the person responsible for the welding, I need to wheel out the excuse book and say that gusty wind and mig welding out doors don't mix very well!

It's not very pretty, but seems solid and will be ground back anyway.

Can we have some warm, dry, still days that aren't baking hot please :lol:

retro said:
cheers 8) i was worried the mid grey would look wrong, but it does blend with the wood effect well.

got it off ebay, this seller

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/salesfromsarah/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or their website is
http://www.rainbowconversions.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for that :) I think it looks great. Nice to see another dormie being saved :)

harry_p said:
As the person responsible for the welding, I need to wheel out the excuse book and say that gusty wind and mig welding out doors don't mix very well!

It's not very pretty, but seems solid and will be ground back anyway.

Can we have some warm, dry, still days that aren't baking hot please :lol:
shut it you perfectionist, its not as rough as my rattle caning :mrgreen:

cheers kevin, 8)

give harry his dues, he`s been working like a trooper on the bus for the past few weeks 8)
and after seenig the prices some rotters go for at vanfest, he`s admitted he`s being abit of a perfectionist :shock: good when you want a spotless bus and one hopefully that wont need stripping and sanding every year .
bad when you want it up and running like now (patience isnt my good point :oops: )

anyways a few more pics of whats been going on

pin head, playing with the dent puller, chuffed with how its come out

46968_427902715447_726120447_5534578_7173977_n.jpg

during the tidy up, getting shot of the rust, got new backingplates for the brakes to go on, and the tidy up will continue underneath
58971_427903120447_726120447_5534580_4284529_n.jpg

getting here, looking spangley 8)
60372_427903315447_726120447_5534581_5670428_n.jpg

purchased some replacement handles for the interior, not a bad match, slightly bigger, another job to the list :mrgreen:
58349_427896560447_726120447_5534453_6406560_n-1.jpg

hoping to make the concrete hard stand next week, and when its set can push ret on it and put him under a tent, make working on him easier

Harry`s been having quiet a productive week off work so far :mrgreen: renovating a house aswell as a bus is tricky, and Ret has deffinatly been coming second to the walls of my lounge being skimmed. but Harry took this week off to finally give Ret the light of day.
i had a "bus stop" towards the end of last year, after having a hole in the garden for 9 years :shock: nearly burried myself finding out abit of ready mix would cost £500 :cry:
managed to tow Ret onto his bus stop with the beemer and abit of rope, my 12 year old being ready with a block of wood (seens my neighbours were out)
so he now got pride of place
36a4254f.jpg

then came the bus shelter, ive got some big metal posts to go up to make a proper car port, but its another job to the list, so for a temp measure i purchased this last year off a friend of a friend, who had renovated a car under it
e5fef684.jpg

so the clean up begins again
218b56b3.jpg

8ffb0b8e.jpg

3e0bd1f3.jpg

34f0c185.jpg

gear box came out and got a tidy up
0dd99e93.jpg

0377f42b.jpg

then having never done anything to so with bodywork before in my life, except rattle caning a layer of primer on the bear metal when i got Ret to stop his bear metal rusting. i had a go at rubbing down the bumper...geeze them hippies sure liked sealer :shock:
40457ace.jpg

getting there
0ead22b5.jpg

old belly pans are coming off today

Hard standing is looking good dude 8)

Belly pans off tomorrow so fingers crossed for your :D

it has made it easier for the fella to work under.
well the belly pans are off, not toooooo bad, abit of patching up needed, but would be worse i guess 8)

2bc92e75.jpg

d46232ee.jpg

roof needs abit more patching up than thought though :roll:
7312d237.jpg

including resident earwigs :shock:
1bc9a7d4.jpg

Harry has had a few weeks off to sort ret some more,seens got a few metal parts from vanfest 8) although last week was spend rebuilding the back end of his bmw and not ret as planned :roll:
so heres some more rust and repair pics for you to have a look at
sills coming off
229f0b45.jpg

0628ed7d.jpg

3c45f951.jpg

d54b129c.jpg

main chasis rail repair
b419a150.jpg

1d4a92b2.jpg

more bits of rot
87f0d7fb.jpg

then we found more dodgy repairs under the dormy unit and on the wheel arch :( its like picking a scab, gotta be done, but could howl that you do it :lol:
1ca6b1ef.jpg

1f87fe7f.jpg

ca780612.jpg

f9552a68.jpg

popped the headlights in and the front bumper on, to stop the pikeys asking for scrap :x
2ab0b68c.jpg

e30 and e36 m3! I like! The e36 have itb? US versions didn't get them :evil:

soviet1942 said:
e30 and e36 m3! I like! The e36 have itb? US versions didn't get them :evil:
yep it does,
682d5b90.jpg

they are my boyfriends cars, theres a lancia integrale behind the camper on jacks, being split :(
IMG_7091_700.jpg

and 2 metros hidden up one with this in
IMG_2658_700.jpg

luxuryluke said:
All that rust removal and repair is more than I can handle.
Nice job on it, though. Awesome project.

more than what we have been expecting too :| but would rather it completed and properly, rather than bodging it back together and keep having to do different repair. wish had a garage, as its fairly limited on weather to what gets done....its 2.5 years til my 40th birthday, im expecting it to be my birthday present, by then if not sooner :lol:

wow nearly a week of reasonable weather :shock: and harry had more annual leave so he set off to work on Ret, first time in a long time :msn4:
so he cut away more bodge job repairs by previous owner :roll: and discovered missing structural bits of post
fr_1134.jpg

the cat flap harry cut out last year (cat loved sleeping in camper over winter,when we couldnt get her in at night )
fr_1137.jpg

the welding begins...again!
96f53e59.jpg

cat flap gone..cat isnt happy lol
7f063ba0.jpg

and whilst he was there he cleaned up 40 years of grot
fr_1138.jpg

slow progress is better than no progress :mrgreen:

Latest posts