• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

RHD 1972 Tin-Top EarlyBay Crossover

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave105

Reaction score
Hi all, we have decided to sell our camper van which we have owned for the last 4 years, it has been both my daily transport and our holiday home. It is a 1972 (Tax exempt) tin-top converted panel van in VW Aquarius blue and cream. It has a type 4 engine (I think 72 was the first year of the type 4 engines in bays). It started life as a 1700cc but somewhere along the way it was converted to a 2L (CJ) engine. The engine is stock with standard carbs (refurbished) and all tin-ware in place the only mod is a Pertronix electronic ignition. The cabin heater fan is in place and works a treat for a nice toasty cab with pretty impressive defrosting on those chilly mornings.

The front has been lowered using Transporterhause spindles and coil over shocks, the rear has been dropped 1 spline (I think) to balance out the ride and has GAZ adjustable shocks. It has 185/55s on the rear and 175/65s on the front (correctly load rated) fitted to BRMs. It has front disk brakes with a servo (it actually stops!) and I’ve fitted Goodridge hoses to make them even better.

The cabin is nice and tidy with good condition original seat covers and door cards, the only modification has been a rev counter placed in the vacant clock position. It also has an Empi trigger shifter which gives it a nice quick gear change. There is a Sony CD player (with USB) which also has a remote control which is nice to use when sat in the back. There are hammock brackets in the front and I have the hammock which will also be included in the sale. We also have a retro drive-away awning available separately, if required.

There is a sink and cooker (with grill) in the top cupboards (although we have never used either) and storage in the cupboards beneath. The rear seat (lost of storage under) can be converted into a bed (although it is not exactly a rock n roll bed) and has a single lap belt. There is also a side cupboard and drawer where we store all the necessary van bits n bobs.

All in all an honest clean van with plenty of potential if you want to personalise the interior, but we have used it very successfully on many camping trips over the last 4 years.
There is about 2 months MOT left but I will give it a new MOT in the next couple of weeks so will come with 12.

I’m looking for £9750 as I believe this to be a fair price for a very nice crossover early bay in excellent overall condition. The van is located in south Manchester where you are most welcome to come and have a look. Please PM or phone (07805169846 evenings please) me if you require any more information or to arrange a viewing.

Front.jpg

Side.jpg

InsideFront.jpg

Insiderear.jpg

InsideLong.jpg

Cab.jpg

Suspension.jpg

Underneath.jpg

Forgot to add an engine bay pic...
Engine.jpg

Latest posts