RHD early bays

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good looking van, chimpy.
At last, my van's going into the workshop on Monday. :D
Off with the old rotten bits and on with the ....umm, old not rotten bits.
Just need to pick up the front arch cuts sometime next week and away we go!
Hoping to get roadworthy for Vanfest, and maybe weatherproof some time after. :lol:

Yeah my Girlfriend does not believe me when i say a good RHD bus is hard to find! I'm pretty lucky to have my RHD 71' (built in 1970) still on the road after 37 years of british weather! I can't blame people for importing rust free LHD buses, But as said earlier i bet there are some nice surprises still waiting in some garages over here

I'm lucky enough to have a really solid RHD early bay.

I guess it was just meant to be, as it fulfills just about all my crieteria in that it is the conversion I've always wanted, solid, a tin-top, 100% original, and absolutely identical in every aspect such as the year and colour scheme too to my folks' Danbury that they bought new. :D

Picture082.jpg

Doug

Danbury Doug said:
I'm lucky enough to have a really solid RHD early bay.

I guess it was just meant to be, as it fulfills just about all my crieteria in that it is the conversion I've always wanted, solid, a tin-top, 100% original, and absolutely identical in every aspect such as the year and colour scheme too to my folks' Danbury that they bought new. :D

Picture082.jpg

Doug

Did it come with a step ladder :lol:
Only joking, nice to see a nice original RHD van, perhaps we should have another sub-group of earlybay - the Unrestored RHD Bus Brigade (URBBs).

On a more serious note, I have actually been thinking about raising mine back up - putting some big tyres on it and going for the adventure wagon look - roof racks with ladders, jerry cans, bull bars etc etc. I might be able to drive round a campsite at more then 2mph then.

:lol: I like the idea of a URBB section! :mrgreen:

I've never driven a lowered bay, but I believe the ride is quite different.

Pics please, when your bus has been given the adventure wagon look! It could catch on! :D

Danbury Doug said:

That's an understatement, I drove my van to the workshop yesterday to get the work started (pics to follow), and the po who lowered the van has left me with no rear suspension travel :shock:
We put the van on the wheel free ramp and the rear swing arms only drop about 10mm.
Remedial works required I think, any suggestions?

Danbury Doug said:

Pics please, when your bus has been given the adventure wagon look! It could catch on! :D

Thinking about this sort of look but with a few more accessories :wink: :
baja4.jpg

baja1.jpg

Loxy said:
Danbury Doug said:

Thinking about this sort of look but with a few more accessories :wink: :
baja4.jpg

baja1.jpg

Cool! Not seen those kinds of buses before! They could almost drive right over the lowered ones, rather like monster trucks! :D

Danbury Doug said:
Cool! Not seen those kinds of buses before! They could almost drive right over the lowered ones, rather like monster trucks! :D

They both use wagenswest 2 1/2" raised spindles to get that high on the front.
Might be difficult getting the right tyres to fit over here though, need to think on it a bit more.

I bought a '68 MOT'd and running for 2k...... Needs alot of panel work and probablly a new engine but the underneath *seems* solid... Oh and a new beam..................

But im going to do the beam and engine then run it as rat for a while :D

OilLeak9.jpg

Morelowering5.jpg

OilLeak9-1.jpg

RideSetup10-1.jpg

camper001.jpg

camper003.jpg

camper005.jpg

camper006.jpg

i baught my last bay(a 74) about 4 years ago.i spent up untill last month pouring time and money into it.it was always taxed,mot,d and insured and went camping in it regularly through the summer months(weeks). but when i wasnt camping i was welding. sold it in the end owing me a fair few pounds, just couldnt bare to keep going with it anymore which is a shame as my missus,daughter and i have lots of good memories using the bus :( . ive now got a 70 deluxe californian import minibus. it still has rust but not as much.lower edge of the front screen rusted(water in)and a hole behind the front bumper(water out) :( . Sunroof drains blocked so need a new sunroof :( .But thats it.Going into the bodyshop after Action to get the front panel done which leaves me with the sun roof.Job done :mrgreen: Gonna keep this one for ever :D

cunning plan said:
I bought a '68 MOT'd and running for 2k...... Needs alot of panel work and probablly a new engine but the underneath *seems* solid... Oh and a new beam..................

Snap :D
My '69 "seemed" solid as well :lol:

cunning plan said:

Nice bus, Cunning Plan. :D

I think I can spot a Danbury there, with a few modifications to the interior.

Doug

sparkywig said:
cunning plan said:

Snap :D
My '69 "seemed" solid as well :lol:

Yah this is another thing :shock: :? Well engine comes out tonight then I can start work on the engine bay, POR15, sort the tank and wiring etc..

Danbury Doug said:
cunning plan said:

Nice bus, Cunning Plan. :D

I think I can spot a Danbury there, with a few modifications to the interior.

Doug

Tanks, not quite sure if I got a *good* deal yet until I start proper work on it.. I know I have to ad about 1k to the price I paid as the front beam is totalled, well, BODGED :roll:

Latest posts