Rust on the roof

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike F

Reaction score
I have a few worrying rust patches on the roof of my 72 Devon.

Friends have suggested getting the areas which are rusty cut out and replaced. There are two areas concerning my - directly above the screen rubber and also at the back around the roof vent behind the pop top.

I am wondering about the possibility of replacing the whole roof. I never use the Devon pop top anyway and prefer the lines of a traditional roof.

Am I mad or is this the way to go?

If so who sells whole roof sections?!!

Have a look at Tofufis resto thread in the gallery, he did a roof replacement iirc.
Basically you need to drill out a truck load of spot welds then swap them over (think I may have made that sound massively over simplified :lol: ), I think FBIVW in Swansea do whole roof sections from time to time.

EDIT: Tofufis roof swap was a slightly more drastic chop, I'm sure someone on here just unpicked the spot welds and swapped it over though.

Five pics...
The problem areas by the screen...
P1030206.jpg

... showing the main area of rust...
P1030204.jpg

...plus some by the gutter
P1030205.jpg

...and some where the devon roof kicks in...
P1030207.jpg

...plus the area by the vent, close to the roof section...
P1030208.jpg

Its hard to tell how bad that is without having a poke ..! :roll:

.. if it was be I would be looking at some local repairs if thats the only grotty bits ..

.. as for the pop top .. if ya don't like it get a paris top instead .. save filling the hole ..

Hilly

It isn't surprising that the roof is rotting when it hasn't been cleaned for so long.

P1030207.jpg

Just look at all the crap in the gutters trapping moisture against the paint :(

You'll need to poke it all with a screwdriver and see if you find any holes, and clean the rest up with some good car shampoo until you see the paint in the gutters.

If you want to tintop it, it isn't too major a job.
It will take longer to drill out all of the spotwelds than to do it by the pillar welding method, although the spotwelds will be a better job IF your surrounding roof structure is good. Mine was properly rotten, which meant I couldn't just replace the upper roof skin.

Tofufi said:
It isn't surprising that the roof is rotting when it hasn't been cleaned for so long.

P1030207.jpg

Just look at all the crap in the gutters trapping moisture against the paint :(

You'll need to poke it all with a screwdriver and see if you find any holes, and clean the rest up with some good car shampoo until you see the paint in the gutters.

If you want to tintop it, it isn't too major a job.
It will take longer to drill out all of the spotwelds than to do it by the pillar welding method, although the spotwelds will be a better job IF your surrounding roof structure is good. Mine was properly rotten, which meant I couldn't just replace the upper roof skin.

Thanks for that. I find that the gunge does clean off, and do so as well, but not during the autumn when the leaves on the trees above simply clog it all up again.

Mike F said:
Thanks for that. I find that the gunge does clean off, and do so as well, but not during the autumn when the leaves on the trees above simply clog it all up again.

That's the time of year when moisture will be held against the paint the most :)

As has been said above, I tintopped my Dormy as the entire roof was rotten. Yours doesn't look so bad, so unless you decide you definitely want to tintop it, I'd just do fairly localised repairs :)

I may have a good screen surround for the front from my Dormy roof if it is any good to you? Wouldn't want much for it at all.

mike,
i`ve got some roof sections if you need. I`ve got the rear section about 30cms from back, front section as much as you want and the gutters too. Give me a call

Before talking about replacement roofs etc get a wire wheel on the end of a grinder and attack all those areas to find out whats going on, you may need to simply cleanup and put rust inhibitor on and then a skim of filler

Thanks for the replies guys - will do as suggested re cleaning up. My mechanic has said he'll tackle a bits & pieces welding job next year aftyer I've earnt my van money next summer. I may get in touch re the panles but I'm in Kent which is a long way from you both - thanks though.

Latest posts