Scat Stroker Engine Kits

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holeydub

Reaction score
Thinking about building a 2110 as i need a new bus case just wondered what peoples thoughts are on their kits? Coolair sell them just not sure if we get our 10% discount on it though, heritage don't seem to list it on their website...

http://www.scatvw.com/product/volksracer-82-0mm/
http://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Item/Shop_by_Vehicle~Beetle_Products~Beetle_Engine_Products~Engine_Kits~2110cc/AC19821101-4/T1-P-T2-P-T3-P-KG-P-T181_Race_Ready_Engine_Kit_2110cc.html

Also been looking at BJ's speedshop 2187 on VZi would that be a better option?

Ta Scott

Thinking more along the lines ofJay at BJ Speedshops engine, what's anyone's thoughts with the more aggressive cam, bigger valves and the lightened flywheel for my westy?

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=1491929

i did think about it but its a ton of extra work plus sourcing a low mileage good engine would be a pain... did speak to fellows speed shop a while ago and they said with all the chassis mods it would be advisable without more reinforcement

It has always been suggested to me that it's best to stick with a stock weight flywheel and an equaliser pulley.
There is a long thread on here about heads and valve sizes, I couldn't afford a pair of the heads that were suggested in that thread so I have gone for a the new CB panchitto heads, they have bigger than stock valves.
I have purchased all my parts from BJ's Speedshop. If it would help I can send you the spec sheet ? As I can't recall all the fine detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank Sam, I got the consensus that a stock flywheel helps with keeps the revs down and keep the torque push the van rather than for faster acceleration like on a beetle...

I have been given some specs from JMR and Al Craig at Gene Berg both agreeing that just above stock size valves is the better option for low down torque in a weighty westy :)

You want a heavy flywheel in a bus unless your mainly gonna be launching it at Santa Pod it will still rev but won't be as snappy. I've got a 2110, FK8, 1.4:1 rockers 049 revmaster heads with 40x35.5 valves and an awesome hand porting job topped off with 48 IDF's with 38mm vent's. My motor also has a full weight flywheel and a Berg equalizer pulley, makes 165hp, 178 ib/ft of torque and will pull to 7000 rpm BUT is still has bucket loads of bottom end torque. Just make sure you use a proven and well recommended engine builder not half arsed idiot like Rich Morena or Steve Strong who bolt an engine together rather than build it. Speak to BJ's, Jay is a really helpful guy, maybe see if he'll re spec it with a heavy flywheel?

Cheers K@rlos been speaking to John Mayer about all my machine work as I wanted to build it myself he said that Jays motor is just to racey for a daily and to make I don't buy something I regret. Are you running a 38mm vintage speed exhaust with your setup?

I built a 2054 (74x94) with a C-35 cam and stock valve heads (ported and flowed), running twin IDF 40s and a Turbo Thomas exhaust.
I wanted a bigger engine so I could cruise at a higher speed and keep up with modern traffic on long motorway/A road and European trips and for towing, so it was built for low end and mid range torque.

I'm quite pleased with how it turned out really, it does all what I want it to and has topped out at 108mph as well. :lol:

holeydub said:
Cheers K@rlos been speaking to John Mayer about all my machine work as I wanted to build it myself he said that Jays motor is just to racey for a daily and to make I don't buy something I regret. Are you running a 38mm vintage speed exhaust with your setup?

Yeah JMR knows his stuff, nope I loath Vintage Speed Exhaust's... They are over priced and restrictive as hell, I run an old skool 1 5/8" merged 4 into 1 header a mondo muffler. Vintage speed are basically stock exhaust in design, fine on a small cc motor, I know Sparkywig made some good power gains when he ditched a VS for his 4 into 1 Turbo Thomas

K@rlos said:
Yeah JMR knows his stuff, nope I loath Vintage Speed Exhaust's... They are over priced and restrictive as hell, I run an old skool 1 5/8" merged 4 into 1 header a mondo muffler. Vintage speed are basically stock exhaust in design, fine on a small cc motor, I know Sparkywig made some good power gains when he ditched a VS for his 4 into 1 Turbo Thomas

About 15-20bhp and a handful of torque.

Hmmm I was looking at csp viper but clearance is going to be my biggest issue as my engine bars about 100mm from the floor :p

So really then the viper should be the almost the same height as it's similar?

Sparkywig did you have the super flow VS ?

Thank you. Is your current exhaust any louder on the motorway and do you use a westy or Gadgets tow bar ?

*Sam* said:
Thank you. Is your current exhaust any louder on the motorway and do you use a westy or Gadgets tow bar ?

No louder than a VS, and I've got a towbar I made myself.
The TT exhaust is side exit, but the VS exhaust was on the bus when I fitted the towbar.

Latest posts