Sherbie

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a bit of fun trying to track down a Master Cylinder but got a hold of this guy on eBay.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/usr/newa...=0&osub=-1~1&crd=20231107005818&segname=11401
lets hope it’s a nice one., Hope you guys had fun, the dogs don’t really care where they are but they love all the new smells don’t they. Servo is on the Christmas List for 2026 because I’ll probably have all the other little jobs done by then :ROFLMAO:

Ozziedog,,,,,,..,,,,maybe.:)

Onwards and upwards. The whole sorry saga is now starting to fall into place. Yup, you’ve guessed it , it’s all gone a little Peter Wong,,,again.
When I stack up all the clues and review it all with a bit of twenty twenty eyesight, it all makes sense. Nick pointed out to me a month or two ago that I was a little low on anchor lotion and it was down near the bottom of the reservoir. Gaz pointed out a few months back that my brake light switches had a leak or you could see evidences of moistness on the switches. I then after next to no attention lose my brakes on a recent jaunt to Tuckers Grave. So I immediately think to ^^^ and didn’t have a decent look myself. So I’ve ordered new switches, and the new ones arrive, not the ATE ones I wanted but a pair of Mahl switches. Pull the old switches out and manage to take a chunk of master cylinder with it, so then I jump to another conclusion that my master has been weeping from a faint crack because it seemed a little rustier inside when I found the broken off chunk. Take the master cylinder off and order a new one from an eBay seller and it takes about two weeks to arrive but it’s great when it gets here. As I’m doing this I’ve pulled the fluid supply pipe from the remote reservoir off and it virtually fell off in my hands before I even undid that weirdo clip <<< I’ll come back to that clip later. The adaptor / reducer between the pipe and the master cylinder had turned to mush so I ordered a new one from heritage ‘First Mistake’ . Along with the reducer rubber I ordered a front brake rebuild kit with new shoes and pipes and flexis and cylinders etc etc and it’s fantastic. Ordering from Heritage wasn’t the mistake by the way. So all this stuff has turned up and I’m just gonna get us up and running so we can roll off to Sloff this Sunday. Clean everything up and fit the master cylinder, lovely,,,,fit the new switches,,,,,lovely,,,,, get the new pipe on with his new reducer,,,, lovely,,,, top up the brake fluid,,,, lovely. Get out from under the van and I’m gonna get my Gunson and bleed this little lot, but first, let’s get some lunch then I can come back and check for leaks. What a brilliant idea, I’m now concentrating on some lunch which turns out to be half a tin of corned beef and some Idahoan instant mash spud,, lush.
Get back down to the van let’s get the Gunson out and out of its box.
Right then ,, put it away again,, there’s lake Ontario in brake fluI’d under the van. :eek: :mad::eek:
Mistake number a hundred and one, there’s two ends to this reservoir feed pipe and some dopey git has just changed one end and not checked the other end which just happens to be not just as bad as the end on the master cylinder but worse,,,much worse and has disintegrated and slid down the feed pipe. This has allowed all the new fluid from the little reservoir to flow down the outside of the pipe and form a nice lake on my garage floor. I’ve just ordered another one, two pounds fifty pence plus six fifty postage. Don’t you just love it when you’re up to here with it and postage kicks you in the gonads for good measure.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,formulating plan nine hundred and ninety eight.:)

So after this fiasco, I think I’ve now realized that the brake light switches probably weren’t leaking anyway, and breaking the master cylinder probably could have been avoided and all that was needed was ‘Two’ rubber reducers, one at each end because they’d turned to mush and was just casually occasionally running a slight drip down the outside of the pipe and this is where the moisture came from on my switch covers and this is where my loss of fluid originated. So, no further forward and I still can’t use my Gunson to bleed my brakes. If I go very carefully, I reckon after having a chat around I could just fill the pipe and bleed my brakes manually into a jar to get the new fluid through. Give it a go.:)

Ozziedog,,,,,,Hope this recucer turns up soon.:)

In my HMO Ozzie the Gunson is NFG for early bay brake bleeding, the seals on top reservoir pipe and master cylinder end were never designed to take any pressure. Better off buying a simple one man brake bleeder ( a bit of pipe with a one way valve in it and a rubber end that fits snugly on the bleed nipple). I also have a trick spanner thingy that fits on the nipple and then you attach your bleed tube directly to it. Will find a picky. You could also get Mrs Dog to pump the pedal while you flail about underneath- perhaps bribe her with chocolate or a bottle of Lambrini ?

So after this fiasco, I think I’ve now realized that the brake light switches probably weren’t leaking anyway, and breaking the master cylinder probably could have been avoided and all that was needed was ‘Two’ rubber reducers, one at each end because they’d turned to mush and was just casually occasionally running a slight drip down the outside of the pipe and this is where the moisture came from on my switch covers and this is where my loss of fluid originated. So, no further forward and I still can’t use my Gunson to bleed my brakes. If I go very carefully, I reckon after having a chat around I could just fill the pipe and bleed my brakes manually into a jar to get the new fluid through. Give it a go.:)

Ozziedog,,,,,,Hope this recucer turns up soon.:)
So Mr Ozziedog will it be ready for Sunday big event of the slough meet ? 😃

This is turning into a right mare. I’ve been bleeding the system slowly using a funnel and a bit of pipe as my extra reservoir going around slowly with a cut to measure stick to hold the pedal down. Went around clockwise and started with the offside front. Next was the two rears and they seemed to bleed ok, but got around to the front nearside and there’s brake fluid all down the inside of the wheel and tyre before I’ve even found the bleed nipple. Luckily I’ve bought a rebuild kit with new shoes and cylinders and pipes etc etc that I wasn’t going to fit until the winter. This rebuild kit also has new wheel bearings in and more.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, something is definitely going against me getting to Sloff. :)

This is turning into a right mare. I’ve been bleeding the system slowly using a funnel and a bit of pipe as my extra reservoir going around slowly with a cut to measure stick to hold the pedal down. Went around clockwise and started with the offside front. Next was the two rears and they seemed to bleed ok, but got around to the front nearside and there’s brake fluid all down the inside of the wheel and tyre before I’ve even found the bleed nipple. Luckily I’ve bought a rebuild kit with new shoes and cylinders and pipes etc etc that I wasn’t going to fit until the winter. This rebuild kit also has new wheel bearings in and more.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, something is definitely going against me getting to Sloff. :)
it is winter,get on with it

it is winter,get on with it
Oh NOooooooo!
Got a cracked drum now, you just couldn’t make it up. I haven’t broken it and I really don’t know how long it’s been cracked. Funny looking hazy pattern around the crack too .

IMG_3864.jpegView attachment 7160IMG_3864.jpegView attachment 7160Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, time for a C.S.P. Kit maybe. :eek:

Anybody got a decent front drum? I’ve just about had it with these bloody drums now.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,HHhhhmmmmm :eek:
Might be some bits at the swap meet Ozzie or ask Nick at CJ.. you been stamping that pedal to hard 😂

Yes, that’s what I’m thinking. I’ll see Nick at Slough by the look of it. You still ok to drive ?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,bit cheesed off now. :)
Yeah all good to drive

Right, here’s the next bit of the fiasco. The original slave cylinders had a shoulder on them right next to the fixed pipe entry. This shoulder stops you getting a normal spanner on to the nut that clamps the pipe in. Not a crazy big issue but had to grind the shoulder off on all but one to be able to undo the fixed pipe. Luckily the new cylinders don’t have this dopey shoulder which I’m guessing required a spanner that was like a thin walled open ended socket / ring type of affair, just as a guess. But now assembled the shoes and springs and fitted into the dust caps and I’ve now tried three or four different arrangements but the new springs won’t fit neatly inside the cylinders, I’ve tried springs facing out as they were before and facing out with the start of the springs facing down , facing up, facing one of each, and the opposite and the springs keep bowing on the cylinders. Eventually worked it out in that the cylinders casting around the fixing points where the bolt holes are is four to five mill bigger. So I’ll be pulling them off again and clearancing the cylinders. Was toying with the idea of a dremel type grinder but I’m so pissed off with it, I might just get the nine inch grinder out and sort em out good and proper. Hopefully this might help someone else doing the same job, cut the old cylinders on the shoulder and clearance the new cylinders on the fat bit.
IMG_3879.jpegOzziedog,,,,,,,,,let’s go and have another go. :)

Picture above shows the little shoulder and the bolt hole on the right to the edge of the cylinder nearest the bottom of the piccyis a bit bigger on the newer one and that’s what bends both the springs in, but there’s a lot of meat there to hack at.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, can’t keep putting it of till it warms up :)

In my HMO Ozzie the Gunson is NFG for early bay brake bleeding, the seals on top reservoir pipe and master cylinder end were never designed to take any pressure. Better off buying a simple one man brake bleeder ( a bit of pipe with a one way valve in it and a rubber end that fits snugly on the bleed nipple). I also have a trick spanner thingy that fits on the nipple and then you attach your bleed tube directly to it. Will find a picky. You could also get Mrs Dog to pump the pedal while you flail about underneath- perhaps bribe her with chocolate or a bottle of Lambrini ?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,NFG .?? Not fabulously groovy perhaps :):ROFLMAO::)

OK, here we go then. The new slave cylinders are slightly bigger and the springs won’t go in nicely. A bit of clearancing required. At this rate everything is gonna be worn out or giddy from getting put on and being taken off again. I’m thinking about that tricky little spanner but I got 6mm little bleeders on the back and 8mm bleeders on the front but I don’t spose there’s an issue with swapping to 8mm bleeders all around? Any reason they need to be so small on the back ?:unsure:IMG_3897.jpegAs it is it’s about impossible to centre the shoes without putting the drums back on but if I slide the shoes up a fraction the top spring hits etc etc
Ive had with the springs facing up, facing down, one up one down, and one down and one up. Here comes the grinder,,,,,,, again. Don’t think it’ll make much difference for fifty years but you never knows.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, complete list of ‘Dont Do It This Way’ :)

Oh, I needed this.
Ive really been starting to doubt myself lately as everything that I touch on the van especially the brakes seems to result in me having to do ‘something else’ and buy something new, maybe get a different tool, or modify this that and the other part. I’m still no further forward but had a great result today. My daily old Zafira hasn’t been getting up to temperature for quite a while now and Mrs Ozziedog is still rattling on about buying a newer car but I do like my old Zafira as it’s a tad dented and worn but I’m not really worried about parking him anywhere and he’s petrol so I don’t get too much issue with the local ULEZ stuff etc etc . So I’ve ordered a new thermostat and wasnt entirely sure I’d bought the right bit because this was less than a tenner but I saw the same part up to sixty plus quid and a few sites didn’t do this part on its own and you had to buy the housing with it in complete and that was various prices and some well over a hundred quid. Any way, it’s turned up but it’s not quite the same as the old one coming off because the sensor connector is in a different place, so I’m thinking,,,, here we go again :rolleyes: then I look at the bolts fittings it and I’ve never seen external torque fittings before. So I loosen everything off a tiny bit of a turn before I commit myself and the eight mill socket to undoing the whole shamozzle. Any way ,, long story short, it works, we now have heat in the car, Mrs Ozziedog can stop moaning, and I’ve managed to do a whole job myself without recourse to Google or U Tube or buying extra tools etc. And fresh anti freeze has been on my to do list for a few years as well, only because I’ve no idea what was in there and what strength etc.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, So I can get back on those brakes later.:):cool::)

Latest posts