Should I change my air filter back ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Last owner of my van has fitted a chrome pancake-type air filter but I still have the original oil bath type - should I change it back ? ( someone mentioned the pancake would be worse for icing in winter) - engine is std single port 1600 ... any advantages to the pancake ?

I used to have a pancake filter on mine and never had any troubles with it. Carb icing can be a problem, but i have never experienced it with this type of filter. As long as you have a correctly tuned engine all should be fine.

VW did make the large filter for a reason, so there is no real reason to change it. I liked the extra space the smaller filter gave, just make sure its always clean and free from dust etc. You could always put a larger K&N filter on the top, which would give you more air and a potential reduction or stop to backfiring on de acceleration problems (general popping!)

Just my experiences. 8)

No worries.
:D
Does your engine run okay at the moment? any popping etc?

I personally would go with the stock set up, esp. as you have it already. Its a complicated beast (by comparison) and if its all in order then it alters air intake by temperature and rpm (via air induction). I find the oil breather a better system, and also the fact its an 'oil change' to clean it makes it buttons to maintain, and simple to do at regular oil change time.
Finally, if all else is stock-ish, then I like to see the system in place.

Just by two 'pennorth :)

Justin & Mutley said:
I'm with Clem on this one, if your engine is stock then stick the oily back on...

;)

Yep, the only reason to change your filter setup is for dual carbs, otherwise keep it stock.

OK -sounds like Im being convinced to go back to stock - rest of engine was stock until recently - my advance wasnt working so the guy I use put in a 009 that he had around, although ive since read that this isnt ideal on a stock engine either ? (flat spot) ...

I would always go for a vacuum advance on a stocker. Always seems to give the best results etc. As far as the air filter goes either is a good choice until you get them big carbs :wink:

easy said:
I would always go for a vacuum advance on a stocker. Always seems to give the best results etc. As far as the air filter goes either is a good choice until you get them big carbs :wink:

Personally I think it is best to use a vac dissy on any setup, 009s can be shockingly poor quality since Bosch have stopped making them. If you are running dual carbs it would be worth getting them drilled and tapped for a vacuum take off. I was using an 009 with my baby Dells, I have since gone over to a late vac dissy and the performance is much more immediate and the fuel consumption has dropped by about 4mpg.

speedwell68 said:
easy said:

Personally I think it is best to use a vac dissy on any setup, 009s can be shockingly poor quality since Bosch have stopped making them. If you are running dual carbs it would be worth getting them drilled and tapped for a vacuum take off. I was using an 009 with my baby Dells, I have since gone over to a late vac dissy and the performance is much more immediate and the fuel consumption has dropped by about 4mpg.

totally agree :D Always loving the vac advance :wink:

Definately go back with your original oil bath filter. Those pancake pieces of dump don't allow intake air into your carb properly. One reason for icing on your carb or the base of the intake is because your heat riser tubes are clogged, this is the case for either a sp or dp manifold.

Latest posts