Siezed rear drum brake

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjb63

Reaction score
Probably a common problem, my bus is stuck in the garage as the rear nearside drum has seized through shameful non-use for several weeks. Could be the handbrake cable or the shoes. Any hints on how to free it up gratefully accepted, I've tried just reversing out but scraping rubber put me off forcing it any further, also if it suddenly freed under high revs..... totalling the side panel on the garage door frame is not my favourite outcome!

Ta and seasons wotsits

Rick

Hi rick, happened many times on my bus thru lack of use!
If you can get your wheel off its much easier. Give the hub a good few bangs with a copper or strong wooden hammer/mallet. After a few knoks it usually frees up the brakes and your good to go. If theres no room to get the wheel off, take the hub cap off and do the same in the centre of the hub, will take a bit more but should do it.
If you are laying the bus up for a couple of weeks, take the handbrake off, choke the wheels and leave it in gear. I learned my lesson!
Steve :)

baybus70 said:
If you are laying the bus up for a couple of weeks, take the handbrake off, choke the wheels and leave it in gear. I learned my lesson!
Steve :)

wise words............ i learned the hard way too

Latest posts