Silentcoat advice

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoddy

Reaction score
Hi

I'm building up to stripping out the insides of my bus this winter and thought i best stick some sound deadening material etc in before new headlining / panels / floor. Seen a quite a few recommendations for the silentcoat so happy to just go with that. Looking for some tips/advice on coverage though .....

1. Would you cover the entire roof in this?

2. Load area floor ..... removed the orig old hardboard sheet and strips of black stuff? Would you cover the whole area or just strips like it had before? Thinking I'd put a bit of carpet down on top before R&R cushion etc.

3. Cargo floor.... again, cover the entire floor or just strips? will be putting down ply then vinyl ultimately

4. Cab floor....sticking with a standard black rubber mat. is it worth coating under here?

5. Panels ....stick pieces on the areas you can get to?

Think the bulk packs are circa £85. Interested to know what others have done and how many packs they went through.

Cheers for any help
Craig

the rule of thumb i followed was about 1/3 coverage of each panel. What your tying to do is lessen sound from vibration. I covered the engine floor area in a full coverage and put a fire & sound proof foam on the inside of the engine bay. worth doing, but probably not worth overdoing....

When we did ours we have covered the whole cargo floor area and all the way to the tailgate. Im planning on doing the roof aswell before i put a headliner in, mainly to keep the mrs warm :lol:

Dont have a pic of it finished im afraid but youl get the idea

Wow....that's gonna be a lot of silentcoat catweasel! :0) should keep by busy for a while.

Thanks for tips bluesnailman.

The tailgate down to the front of the cargo floor was done with 1 box, although it turned out to be a couple of squares short. Hoping to get the majority of the roof done with another box then going for a plywood headliner 8)

I did in mine. loved it. dropped over all db by 12 db killed the high Hz tinny freqs and generally made it a nice place to drive.

Went from hard work to chat at 80mph to be able to hold a conversation at same speed. added plus added to the insulation too and kept it cooler in summer.

80mph! My 50mph feels like you're doing 80 :0) wouldn't mind but plugged satnav in to check speedo on its last run and when speedo shows 65 satnav reports 50. Knew it was out but that was a surprise

Yeah my speedo was full of sharpie where gps speed was. 30mph was correct 80 was 90 on the speedo. Even with correct rolling size tyres etc it was out.

But looked cool taking the needle off the dial

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

i did 3mm on the roof as i have stuck vinyl straight over the top (no standard headliner)
6 mm on all the walls etc (23 sheet pack off ebay did the lot)

then i used their "absorber" egg box over the top on all the side panels to further dampen ambient rocket.
not done bulkheads/ floors etc as i figure with a mattress on the rear bulkhead and the lot being fully carpeted there wouldn't be a huge benefit vs cost

hope this helps
Sam

Latest posts