Sliding Door Forward Interior Mechanism

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buss69

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Help, can anyone take a picture of their front interior lock mechanism if you have a RHD '71 (the interior piece that the handle fits in to). Or does anyone know what the correct mechanism should be. Mine does not have an internal lock, but does have 2 cables, the striker plate looks different from others I have seen also. I think the lock I have might be for a panel van, can anyone confirm this?

Cheers in advance

Sorry I can`t help with the photos, I don`t have a camera at the moment. Mines a 1970 panel van converted but I have a ` proper ' door with window for it and my mechanisms are the same. If you want to ring me and talk through a description of the bits on each to see if they is similiar, my number 07723 069 937 :D

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, How embarrassing,,,,, not got a camera ! :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol:

And funnily enough,,, me and him ^^^ were looking at the differences on mine being a converted panel, I have a lock receiver but nowhere for it to latch, whereas on the door I have to go on there, also 1970 allegedly it has a similiar sort of receiver but it also has the latch bit. I have got a receiver off of a 72 but I think I may need it for when I change the doors over. Sorry I can`t help with the photos (no camera) :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Now officially unemployed and signed on :msn4: :roll: :lol:

ozziedog said:
Sorry I can`t help with the photos, I don`t have a camera at the moment. Mines a 1970 panel van converted but I have a ` proper ' door with window for it and my mechanisms are the same. If you want to ring me and talk through a description of the bits on each to see if they is similiar, my number 07723 069 937 :D

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, How embarrassing,,,,, not got a camera ! :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol:

Cheers dude, I'll give you a buzz about 9pm if that's OK?

Tar

No prob, give me a bell and i`ll talk you through it, just worked out that i got a camera on my phone, so took some piccys but my laptop won`t let me bluetooth them across :roll: . If you ring me in the morning i might try and send the pics on the phone :? No promises though,,

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Me and technology,, :roll: ;) :lol:

Thanks for your help boys. Just to help things along a bit. This is my arrangement.
Mechanism
IMG_0562.jpg

And the Striker Plate
IMG_0561.jpg

Hey you know I said both sets of mine are the same,, :oops: They are definitely not. What you have there is the same as I have on my bus (converted panel van) When it locks as you pull the handle up, that bit pulls the rearmost part of the door in and it locks / clicks there. On my new door there is a hooky type of latching mechanism as well.

Now just to confuse things more, :shock: My lock is slightly different to yours in the fact that mine has another little knob on it for locking it from the inside and if you had the door shut, and you were sat inside looking straight at the lock, it`s sort of top right on the lock a sort of knurled knob :? like a clicker but actually a slider , about 15 -20mm across an about as thick as two matches (width)

I hadn`t even spotted that the locks were different (didn`t look properly :oops: ). I`m guessing these locks were added / changed for whatever was available when the prices on the vans was at rock bottom. So it is possible that you have a panel van one on yours or possibly an old late splitty one. Or is it a country of origin spec thing ???

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, Speak to you at ten then :mrgreen:

Is it a '70 model year (as per your avatar) or a '71model year (as per the question) that you have?

The lock mechs changed for '71 model year, '71 on have a latch at the front, earlier is like the one have pictured. Also, there are differences between panelvans and kombis/microbuses, the difference is interior lock as you've said, panels didn't need it.

The part number on the one you have will be 214 843 653 D, the one you need is 224 843 653

Hope this helps

:)

Latest posts