Slipping Clutch....how many more miles can I drive?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gütterßnipe

Reaction score
Oh well
Here again!
My clutch started slipping today albeit intermittently and I need this like a hole in the head.
It's a 1600TP on a 71 bus and I was wondering how many more miles I can do before getting it sorted.
The biting point us quite high but not ridiculous!
I only use it at weekends and next Saturday going to Lapland UK which is about 140miles roundtrip mainly motorway.
The missus has already bought tickets at £200 (ouch!) and I'm in shit street if I can't make it there and back
I ain't got time to get it fixed this week so big dilemma!
Any advice and support gladly welcome!
Also how much should I expect to pay to get it replaced if a garage is charging £40 per hour

Cheers

Spence. :(

its probably oil contamination from flywheel oil seal. change it yourself, all you need is a jack and some tools, about 3 hour job max. and will cost you about a tenner for the seal. just clean the bellhousing, flywheel and clutch with some brake cleaner @ £4 a tin

fannehbatter said:
its probably oil contamination from flywheel oil seal. change it yourself, all you need is a jack and some tools, about 3 hour job max. and will cost you about a tenner for the seal. just clean the bellhousing, flywheel and clutch with some brake cleaner @ £4 a tin
Agree but why not scrape enough together and replace the clutch - i have heard some motor factors have a cheap option , it may save future problems ?.

I would be a bit reluctant to attempt that journey with a slipping clutch. Although it may well get you there, if it goes tits up you will not be popular with the bread knife and it could be a fecking cold wait for the recovery...Also a slipping clutch on a long run will make the engine run hotter, hotter engine = thinner oil, thinner oil = leaking from any weak spots (i e flywheel oil seal), leaking oil seal = slipping clutch....its a viscous circle which you would do well to avoid dude ;)

As said above, If it is just a leaking flywheel oil seal you can often get away with sorting that and cleaning it all up, however, if it was me I would at least stick a clutch plate in there while the engine was out.

For the record, it should be about £200 for a garage to fit a new clutch and oil seal.

Whatever you choose, good luck!

Thanks for the advice guys
Unfortunatley I can't fix myself as can only work on the street and am limited on what I can do with a massive camber in the road:(
Think I've gotta bite the bullet and hire a Vauxhall Clitoris to get there as if it all goes wrong I'm sleeping out the front in the camper.
Onto my local VW dude inthe morning for a quote!

cheers

Spence