• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

SOLD !!Alistair's 1970 Westfalia SO70 Campmobile San Lorenzo

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aogrady

Reaction score
NOW SOLD!!

With a very heavy heart, and much sadness, I have decided to put my earlybay 1970 SO70 Westfalia up for sale. I just don't use it enough, (aside from collecting furniture that wont fit in the Audi Allroad) I nip out the odd weekend if the weathers good, and I do miss not using it, and the kids love it, it's all they have know all their life, but to be honest, we need little more space inside for the family, especially on journeys. It had up until recently been my daily driver, but relegated to 2nd car as my girlfriend is learning to drive, so we needed another car for when she passes her test. The Audi is too big for her really....

In the past year since the last MOT I have done the grand total of around 700 miles. I am the first and the only UK owner. I have owned it for over 8 years, since it was shipped over from California, and you have no doubt watched it evolve over the years on this very forum. It's normally parked under the house, with a battery tender connected to keep it fully charged - the solar panel would do this, but unfortunately doesn't get under the house on the dark side of the street!

Details of the bus, and what's fitted, replaced are as follows:

http://s249.photobucket.com/user/aogrady/Westy%20SO70/story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://goo.gl/photos/o49iXUjqr8fNoBz19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1970 genuine factory Westfalia SO70 Campmobile, with factory option of pop top. California import to the UK in 2008

Factory details:

Model Type 2 (T2) mod. 231(0) :
- Kombi
- Sliding door right
- LHD
Chassis number 2302245692
Serial number 245 692
Modelyear 1970
Planned production date
Friday, 03 July 1970
Number for production planning
(temporary serial number) 7296
Type of engine Type 1 (B5) - 1584cc, 35 kW (47 bhp DIN)
Type of transmission Manual 4-speed gearbox
Paint color L87 - Perl White
Remark : Westfalia
Interior color (doorpanels and seats) - Westfalia Campmobile
Destination USA, Washington D.C.

M-Plate content
Model Type 2 (T2) mod. 231(0) :
- Kombi
- Sliding door right
- LHD
Chassis number 2302245692
Serial number 245 692
Modelyear 1970
Planned production date
Friday, 03 July 1970
Number for production planning
(temporary serial number) 7296
Type of engine Type 1 (B5) - 1584cc, 35 kW (47 bhp DIN)
Type of transmission Manual 4-speed gearbox
Paint color L87 - Perl White
Remark : Westfalia
Interior color (doorpanels and seats) - Westfalia Campmobile
Destination USA, Washington D.C.

Factory Pearle White L87 95% original paint. Professional bare metal respray to rear corners and engine lid with full photographic evidence. Lead loaded and any dents fixed. 100% unrestored original bus, totally honest without filler hiding any nasty's, with only sympathetic bodywork over the years to keep it looking good. Mainly original in the interior and exterior, with quality modern additions to further its use when camping, such as fridge, solar and propex. I deliberatly keep the engine and running gear stock for ease of service and life, along with stock modern tyres and standard suspension, it will allow you to truly get away on wild camping without problems due to good ground clearance, and the benefit of the off grid electrical system

Factory pop top, good canvas, but zip broken on fly screen

Stock height, unmessed with suspension, replacement beam arm HD ball joints on all 4 arms.

Powder coated correct early bay wide 5 x 205PCS steel wheels with correct commercial 185R14 tyres, all with virtually new tread, along with spare wheel in boot with original mustard vinyl cover. Additional spare tyre is also available

1971 1600 Twin Port AE engine with recent brand new 34 IT Weber carbs, manifolds Pertronix ignition system. 25 year Bio Ethanol rated fuel pipework from tank to carbs, along with cunifer copper piping by VW Works. Standard gearbox, gen full replacement driveshafts. New clutch cable, gearstick extension with custom gearknob.

Bluebird stainless steel stock exhaust

110aH Leisure battery with T-Max digital split charge system

Propex blown air gas heating system

Waeco CR50 12V Compressor marine fridge hidden in original Westfalia cooler unit, running off leisure battery system, but can be run direct from solar only, but better on the battery in the UK I think. Cooker unit and fridge doors with leather tie backs.

2 burner gas/black glass domino hob with 3kw wok burner wok stand included, mounted in Vohringer ply worktop on modified original Westfalia cooler unit

BBQ gas point with pipe run from behind cooler for outside cooking, with quick release coupling. 3 way gas manifold and 4.5kg Calor gas bottle under original buddy seat. Gas BBQ included if you wish.

80W roof mounted, fully height adjustable mono-crystal solar panel on alloy brackets fitted on roof rack area, with very good quality MPPT digital display regulator connected to split charge and battery system mounted under the bed. The controls are next to the propex vent, and can be re-routed into the wardrobe, as i was going to hide them once i had finished fully testing the system, (never did move it, as it worked well where it was, but i wanted it tidier..) which works perfectly, running the fridge, and charging both battery's at once via the T Max split charge system, which can also manually link both battery's together if starter battery flat.

Brand new custom made beige wool cab carpet, with contrasting edge trim, including front kick panels, under seat mats , walkthrough and front cab.

Cork flooring and side panels, original mustard Westfalia vinyl, with Westfalia style curtains with custom made leather tie backs. Spare curtain, flooring if you want it.

Brand new pop top hammock canvas with custom leather straps also

Alloy original spec side step with non slip top treadplate, painted metallic brown with stainless steel fixings, matching paint original metal correct front badge.

Full stainless steel bolt kit (still some left to fit)

Brand new locking fuel cap - original correct large logo one available, just needs cork seal

Original Louvre windows, new mesh flyscreens, one Original early westy interior seal, not repro

Original rear tailgate mosquito mesh

Original front cab hammock

Original Westfalia stool, mustard vinyl

Original Westfalia 3/4 rock and roll bed, mustard vinyl

Original Westfalia wardrobe and top locker unit, correct 1970 spec buddy seat.

Original radio blank with Sony iPod tray capable radio hidden in glove box

Had work on brakes, with front drum, both wheel bearings, shoes and all cylinders all round replaced.

Front and rear over riders with high quality replacement rubbers on front and edges.

Perfect rear bumper, patina front

New rear lights with LED bulbs. Front indicators with LED bulbs

Westy interior light unit, x3 multi SMD LED light packs

Top quality front door seals, sliding door seal, rear window and tailgate seals

Bodywork generally in very good condition, solid underneath with body colour painted Upol Raptor coating on entire underside, rustproofed in cavitys etc. Some slight bubbling to nearside battery tray, off side has been replaced. Some work in future maybe needed on the dog leg and closing panel, but still very solid. Jack points, chassis, sills are all very solid and original. Solid undertrays, with inspection holes let in for future inspection, all solid inside and out. Solid front bellypan. All doors, sliding door, engine lid, rear panel, tailgate are 100% solid, all cavity treated. No filler on the vehicle. Front panel retains it's historical dent, which may be able to be straightened. I had kept this as I wanted to retain some history and character of the vehicle. The new owner could do things differently.

Interior is mainly the original stock Campmobile layout, with just the modified cooler with hob and fridge, wardrobe, buddy seat, bed and front seats are all original in the mustard and beige front seats. The original overhead locker is in place. The drivers seat has a small spilt, but is very good with no tears. The bed and buddy seat have some age related tears. I think i have some original mustard trim to replace if needed.
Front and rear seatbelts are custom made aircraft style with chrome clasp and beige webbing. 3 point retractable on the front seats, with 3 way and 2 way fixed belts in the rear.

Bamboo parcel shelf, and matmatz dash top matting. Original wooden roof with decoupage vintage surf memorabilia stuck and sealed over - did this years back (virtually before everyone else!) Gives the interior a unique finish. The wood is easily replaceable if needed.

The bus is fully soundproofed on all panels available, sides, doors, tailgate, under bed section, and is then insulated. All the doors close well without the tinny clang sound normally associated. No exterior panel vibration due to the soundproofing, if you tap the doors/side with your knuckles, its a dull thud. There is thick soundproof underlay under the cab mat, this could be replaced with similar product that i used everywhere else.

I have photo history of absolutely all of the work carried out to the bus in the 8 years I have owned it, mainly documented in this forum.

I also have quite a large collection of new parts and accessories that could go with it, depending on price, or sell separately, including:

Brand new air suspension, front and rear dampers, compressor, gauge, fittings etc
Brand new Firetec fire extinguisher kit
Brand new brake rear drums, backing plates, fixings
Brand new distributor
Brand new 2 way speakers with crossover
Brand new windsreen seal
Brand new window scrapers
Brand new full brake pipe set, goodridge rear braided lines
Brand new digital battery monitoring displays, LED
Recon steering box, drop link, steering arm, all painted in black enamel
Some spare interior cabinet doors, trim, dashboard, swtches etc
Westfalia replacement roof edging trim, pop top hinge repair kit
Sliding door bushes repair kit
Spare heads, starter motor

And probably a lot more in boxes, as I have collected newer/better/upgrade parts over the years to replace as and when needed.

I am, at this moment looking for offers in the region of £16950 please if you're interested, I am open to a sensible offer, I wont be offended, can only say no! It has agreed insurance valuation of £18k+, but that's from a few years ago now, so is no doubt more. It has full 12 months MOT, tax is free. I have also included some spare service parts, oil, filters, rocker gaskets, clutch and throttle cable, plugs, points, (electronic pertronix currently fitted) plug leads, dizzy cap, coil etc which are in the bus ready for you. A set of thermal silver black out screens with fixings is also there, and included is the original Californian number plates that came with the vehicle.

I am in Barnstaple, North Devon. Vehicle can be viewed at Restohaus in Braunton, North Devon. 10-15 mins from my house, it has been looked after well by Bob @ Restohaus for the past few years

With over 800 pictures available of work over the years, if you need any particular information, please ask on here, or via mail which is [email protected] Struggling to get photobucket to cooperate, so latest pics on the google link above

Alistair

YES PLEASE :party0046: I will have it. I have spoken to Bob and will be there by 9am as I'm pretty local :) Cheers

CornishSilver said:
YES PLEASE :party0046: I will have it. I have spoken to Bob and will be there by 9am as I'm pretty local :) Cheers
Hello Cornish Silver!

That's great news, I'm sure you'll love it! I spoke to Bob earlier, he said you were interested in it.

He'll see you then, Bob will be able to talk to me if there's anything you need to know.

Enjoy your look around it tomorrow!

These thing's need a name, I never thought of one in 8 year's, you'll have the honour of naming it! :)

Cheers,

Alistair

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

aogrady said:
CornishSilver said:
Hello Cornish Silver!

That's great news, I'm sure you'll love it! I spoke to Bob earlier, he said you were interested in it.

He'll see you then, Bob will be able to talk to me if there's anything you need to know.

Enjoy your look around it tomorrow!

These thing's need a name, I never thought of one in 8 year's, you'll have the honour of naming it! :)

Cheers,

Alistair

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
Im glad it has no name, as I don't want to get any bad dub Joo Joo for changing it :) The kids have already named it Mater!! Thanks Alistar

Im glad it has no name, as I don't want to get any bad dub Joo Joo for changing it :) The kids have already named it Mater!! Thanks Alistar

Hi,

A good name I reckon. Hope the journey back home went well.

P.M me when your ready if there is anything you want to know, or I can help with.

Cheers,

Alistair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts