• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

SOLD: VERY EARLY BAY - SEPT 1967 RHD TINTOP CAMPER

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snail17

Reaction score
Here is an incredibly rare opportunity to buy a very early 1967 RHD low light, bay window camper van.
This tintop rolled off the production line on Friday 8th September 1967 making it one of the very earliest RHD bay window buses in the UK (I was told when I bought it that it was only the 17th bay to be imported into the UK and is 3rd oldest still surviving).
It is in excellent original condition… never welded or restored.

It is completely unmolested, as it rolled off the production line, and it would take very little effort to make this one a show winner.

The paint colour is the original L345 Light Grey and 90% of the paintwork is original (with only minor touch up work to stone chips etc.). All the panels are original, nothing has been replaced.
It has the original beige leatherette interior with a walkthrough Sandpiper camping conversion fitted in the late 1960s. This consists of a variety of cupboard spaces, including overhead storage and a small hanging space for clothes, a two burner hob, water tap with fold out area for a washing up bowl etc., a foldaway table and seat, and a bench seat that converts to a fold down bed.

The rest of the interior is original, including the door cards (with leather door pulls) and rubber mats. The only addition is a carpet which has been fitted to the walkthrough between the front seats and the rear living section. However, this can be easily removed to reveal the original floor tiles if desired.

This van was imported into Leith in 1967, first registered on 1st November 1967 and spent the first few years of its life in West Lothian. It then spent a large chunk of its life in dry storage, so hasn’t suffered the usual bodywork rot that you see on campers of this age. It has a few small stone chip-type blemishes to the bodywork but it is still one of the very best you will see.

The engine is as clean as you are likely to see, and barely run in with only 46,000 miles on the clock. It has done several long runs, including Cornwall on a number of occasions and the return journey from Gateshead where it was purchased, never missing a beat.

Previously owned by Ron Brown, who I believe is a well known name in the VW camper scene and knows a good bus when he sees one, I am just the 5th owner in its 42 year life thus far.

It comes with the original green registration book and VW instruction manual as well as the original blueprints for the Sandpiper camping conversion; I’ll even throw in a well-thumbed Haynes manual.

You will be sure to attract admiring looks from those in the know when driving along in this fabulous van and, if you hurry, you can secure in time for Brighton Breeze 2009. This van really can be driven away and used straightaway with absolutely no work required.

MOT May 2010, tax exempt.

Supplied with a £200.00 Stormforce tailor-made type 2 cover, which is both waterproof and 100% UV resistant as well as a £140.00 Fiamma 2-bike rack.

http://www.asvj46.dsl.pipex.com/Web/vwcamperpics.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Better photos on the way…

House move forces very reluctant sale :-(

oiro £12,000.00

email: [email protected] if interested

NB The slight discolouration of the panels in the third 'side on' picture below is down to the digital image and not the paintwork (the resolution of the image having been significantly compressed for this forum). Hopefully this will show up in the additional photos I will be uploading soon.

vwcamper2.jpg

vwcamper01.jpg

vwcamper02.jpg

Some more photos... unfortunately these aren't great as I haven't got access to a scanner at the mo, so these are digital shots of conventional printed photos... but you get the general idea.
I'll post the scanned versions of these as soon as I can.

P1060103.JPG

P1060104.JPG

P1060105.JPG

P1060109.JPG

P1060110.JPG

P1060111.JPG

P1060112.JPG

P1060113.JPG

P1060115.JPG

P1060116.JPG

P1060117.JPG

P1060118.JPG

Hi there... not sure about that. As I mentioned it had a professional camper conversion fitted by Sandpiper in the late 60's so it is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts