Some help and advice needed please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knighty

Reaction score
We're going to be travelling around France for 3 weeks in June. It'll be the first time that we've done any serious mileage in the bus. Anyone got any hints and tips on what we should do to the bus before we go, and a good list of spares to take with us.

Cheers all

i went driving around germany and france for my honeymoon
when people say take everything they mean it

i took---
fan belts x2
spark plugs
rotor arm
cap
leads
spare gaskets
oil
battery

if driving around france take Hi-viz jackets and keep them on back of your seats(dont want to get fined)
jack
puncture repair spray

make sure you have AA but if you brake down on their motorways AA cant help you until you have been dragged off by police(they charge you for doing it i have been told)

TOILET PAPER a must
they have loads of toilets but really wierd ones

i hope you have a good time dude
im going back over in june for my anniversary

Add to that a red warning triangle.

Correct clutch and accelerator cable.

Get some breakdown cover! All the above, spare glasses if you wear them and spare headlamp bulbs are required. Photocopies of your vehicle docs.

And a 'lot' of Euros right now! :shock:

ib-bus said:
- All your tools
- Maps

Will you be camping?
that's a whole different list.

Yeah dude, we're going to be camping - done quite a bit in her in the UK, and have the maps etc. for when we it's more the mechanical side of things I wanted some help with.

Just want to check I've got all the basics :)

Some people take a spare distributor that is already times with new points. If you get trouble you can just slip the new one in.

First aid kit is handy too.

gaffer tape just in case something falls off...

The new law in France says you need two bright yellow vests ,just in case you breakdown...

Happy holidays , it is going to be a scorching summer ,it was 26 degrees yesterday... 8)

Hi this is very useful as were off in August travelling through France, Spain, Italy, then all the way bay via Prague and Amsterdam.

Dont forget to do a full service before you go! at least a few days before so that you can do some mileage before heading off, this will show up any probs :mrgreen:

This is all really helpful, cheers all - any more help and advice will be much appreciated!

3 weeks away in the van....can't wait...bring it on!! :D

The AA might refuse to give you continental cover, if they do join Britannia Rescue and get the extended cover for Europe. I cooked my engine in the middle of France and got 4 nights in a hotel for me+ wife and two kids, scheduled flights home, hire car to use while they tried to sort the van out and then van brought home when they couldn't! Obviously, it would have been better to have a healthy van but it was the best treatment in a disaster I could have wished for!

Might be worth buying a copy of SuperVW when you get here- there are lots of air-cooled garages about and most advertise in there. There are two near me in Toulouse and one a bit further south in Carcassonne. They all stock a decent range of parts and could replace any emergency bits you've used- lightning can strike twice!

rosko rosbif said:
The AA might refuse to give you continental cover, if they do join Britannia Rescue and get the extended cover for Europe. I cooked my engine in the middle of France and got 4 nights in a hotel for me+ wife and two kids, scheduled flights home, hire car to use while they tried to sort the van out and then van brought home when they couldn't! Obviously, it would have been better to have a healthy van but it was the best treatment in a disaster I could have wished for!

Might be worth buying a copy of SuperVW when you get here- there are lots of air-cooled garages about and most advertise in there. There are two near me in Toulouse and one a bit further south in Carcassonne. They all stock a decent range of parts and could replace any emergency bits you've used- lightning can strike twice!
That's fantastic dude thanks, really helpful!! It's always good to know some places that we can pick up spares from! Hopefully won't need it, but good to know in an emergency!

I get a short term Euro breakdown cover from Classic Norton Insurance. Never used it yet, though .....

Just Kampers ship to Europe within a day or two, and Serial Kombi in France is pretty much a French JK.

We are planning to sail to Bilbao again this year in August and drive home. Fingers crossed. :cool:

Check your insurance policy, make sure it covers you for fully comp in europe, some policies only cover you 3rd party out of the UK.

Also get euro break down insurance, we broke down in France last year, fitted new remtec engine about 2 months before we went and the bloody thing broke the crank near StLo.

I also take a strobe, bentley manual, plugs oil, ht leads spare wheel bearings (one front set one rear set and seals), spare coil, distributor, regulator, carb, and full tool kit, maybe im just paranoid, oh and jump leads.

This site might be good if you need spares...

http://www.mecatechnic.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tel 08 26 55 52 55

Of course it would be pretty good if you spoke the lingo..

Pm me and I will give you my phone number ,just in case you breakdown near me...

8)

Latest posts