Spare tyre options

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slow-lane-Matt

Reaction score
My bus currently has nice clean front end - and a spare tyre floating around the boot, which is not ideal..., anyone found a good alternative ?

I saw on the modern Danbury buses at VolksWorld they have a neat swing out bracket (like a 4x4) keeping the spare at the back but not blocking the boot (ie it swings out) - looks really expensive and not really T2..

Don't really want to drill the nose - and heard there are safety implications in mounting there anyway

We have a roof rack - but doesn't look good or feel right up there...

Anyone got any better alternatives or am I just too fussy.

Does the aerosol spray stuff work (obviously not for a blowout).

I have stock wheels - so big and heavy !

Johnny posted this roof rack in another thread and I like lots :mrgreen:

ebrack03.jpg

ebrack02.jpg

ebrack01.jpg

The tyre weld is ok..ish, will get you out of a muddle but as you've said no good in a blow out :) and some tyre places won't repair a tyre that it has been used on :?

slow-lane-Matt said:
My bus currently has nice clean front end - and a spare tyre floating around the boot, which is not ideal..., anyone found a good alternative ?

I saw on the modern Danbury buses at VolksWorld they have a neat swing out bracket (like a 4x4) keeping the spare at the back but not blocking the boot (ie it swings out) - looks really expensive and not really T2..

Don't really want to drill the nose - and heard there are safety implications in mounting there anyway

We have a roof rack - but doesn't look good or feel right up there...

Anyone got any better alternatives or am I just too fussy.

Does the aerosol spray stuff work (obviously not for a blowout).

I have stock wheels - so big and heavy !

I run T4 wheels, so even bigger and heavier but I carry mine in the usual slot in the back, doesn't take up too much space really. As for the tyreweld stuff? My daily came with it as a factory option, no spare at all. Thinking back, I have only ever had 2 punctures in my 29 years of driving so thats pretty good odds for risking not carrying a spare at all?

As has been mentioned before just check the wording of any breakdown policies you may have as mine states that I need to carry a spare for tyre related issues.

Just a small point, I punctured a tyre on the kerb in a petrol station and it was flat within seconds indicating a rather large hole. The tyre weld was absolutely useless!!! After spending £8.00 on a cannister I had to still change the wheel. It may be ok for small slow leaks but anything more than a slow puncture then forget it!!!

niklee1 said:
Just a small point, I punctured a tyre on the kerb in a petrol station and it was flat within seconds indicating a rather large hole. The tyre weld was absolutely useless!!! After spending £8.00 on a cannister I had to still change the wheel. It may be ok for small slow leaks but anything more than a slow puncture then forget it!!!

Totally agree, but if you are short of space, is it worth risking not carrying a spare and carrying only a can of tyreweld? As I said, my daily doesn't come with a spare from the factory, only a can of tyreweld so I don't know how a breakdown company could argue with that when a spare is not an option.

So saying, I do carry a spare in my van.

Edit: Just checked my breakdown policy and it states:

7 You must carry a roadworthy spare tyre (where fitted) with your
vehicle at all times.

So thats me OK for both then.

niklee1 said:

Yup, caught a flat along a dual carriageway in my daily. Got to a layby, and thought, I'll just pop the space saver on and get to kwikfit. WRONG!
Just a bottle of glue, which when poured into the tyre came straight out of the hole all over the floor. Total waste of time. I now make sure my cars now have at least a space saver.

I have been having similar thoughts after finding that my spare was so well secured to the roof rack that it took 45 minutes to get it off. I didn't fancy doing that on a motorway hard shoulder, so I bought a can of tyreweld thinking 'job done'. Then I spoke to a friendly tyre fitter who advised against it (it didn't stop him stocking/selling it however) and checked my breakdown policy. Sure thing, I have to carry a spare.

I have since changed my roof rack to one that is far easier to load and unload when in a dodgy situation and put the spare back up top. I think it looks cool.

mmmmm ditched my spare off the roof last year, just carry a can of weld. i would ideally like to carry a spare but space/weight an issue as usual.

did start trying to find a space saver that i could fit under the front belly pan area as the old girl is stock height and will stay that way, but but struggled so if as a collective on here could we find a space saver to fit stock hubs etc that would be magic might even put it back on the roof

Here's an interesting option not mentioned above:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2znukoboOro&feature=player_detailpage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

looking at other forums it seems some Porsches (944) and SLK Mercs have similar type tyres that can be modded for T2 (wheel nut holes drilled bigger).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2znukoboOro&feature=player_detailpage[/youtube]

yes I have one of those collapsible tyres on my Audi 80 avant - a Vredestein SpaceMaster - saves a bit of space cf. the normal spare wheel tyre - I have a lpg doughnut tank in the spare wheel well so it’s a v useful piece of kit - did not think about this option for the camper and did not know Westys had it as an option so will now see how that works for my bay
cheers
Rob

Latest posts