Spare wheel well

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froggy

Reaction score
Thinking about removing the spare from the front and fitting back into the well in the back before i re-spray the bay, but mine has corroded quite badly and trying to fabricate a new peice would be a knightmare. Does anyone sell these as replacement panels? From the look of it, the top peice is welded into the parcel shelf(?) and then the rest just hangs down.
Has anyone done any repairs to theres and if so what did you do?

ive just removed mine to make more space in the engine bay.i will check the condition of mine for you.they are just spot welded around the lip nothing else holds the in.

chuck it on a roof rack. or strap it underneath the bus between your chassis rails. spare wheels inside the bus use loads of space and never get used. then u you can make full use of whatever interior you use

or just carry the expanding foam, thats what i'm planning on doing, save weight and room.

andewilson said:
chuck it on a roof rack. or strap it underneath the bus between your chassis rails. spare wheels inside the bus use loads of space and never get used. then u you can make full use of whatever interior you use
Im on the look out for a roof rack so this may be an option, was talking this through with the wife and she likes the wheel on the front and wants a cover for it, me though, i want a badge on the front!
Haven't really done much to the interior yet so thats why i thought about putting it inside then plan around it.
Has anyone strapped theres underneath? Quite like the idea of this, how is it done? Any special mounting brakets available? Damn you've got me thinking again, dont you know its a saturday and i only think on a Monday to Friday

heres mine removed
DSCF0008-2.jpg

also had some rust in it
DSCF0012-2.jpg

DSCF0011-2.jpg

put a ninety degree band in some 10mm threaded bar and drill it sideways through a floor strengthener. then it will simply hang down under ther van. then all you need is a large washer (90mm) and you can tighten a spare wheel up against the bottem of the van. space gained and you can forget about it and not have to buy a floppy cover for it :D

Are you saying the spare wheel well is rusty? That's scary! Glad I got a Californian bus (and gallons of anchor wax)
Anyhow, have just got a 'rack myself, more room inside when camping.

Pete B said:
Are you saying the spare wheel well is rusty? That's scary!
Uk bus sat outside un touched for 15 years, could possibly patch it back up with a bit of trickery, might just remove and take it from there

Might have to do some fibreglass copies of one of these, as last one I had was rotten as a pear so I plated over the hole as they wanted a spare mounted on the front anyway

Latest posts