Splash guards

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wanderlust

Reaction score
Have seen splash guards for sale for rear bumpers but i have no idea what they do or even if they are needed, cant see any on my van. can anyone enlighten me?

wanderlust said:
Have seen splash guards for sale for rear bumpers but i have no idea what they do or even if they are needed, cant see any on my van. can anyone enlighten me?

They fit underneath the corners of the rear bumpers to stop road dirt going up the back of the van. Mine had rusted away long ago.

wanderlust said:

They came as standard when the bus was new but over the years many have been dumped when bumpers are removed and people cant be bothered to replace them or theyve just rusted away. They will protect your rear quarter to some degree and the inside rear bumper, but lots of people dont bother so its up to you really. Most VW spares outlets sell them and the fitting kits.

clyde said:
wanderlust said:

They came as standard when the bus was new but over the years many have been dumped when bumpers are removed and people cant be bothered to replace them or theyve just rusted away. They will protect your rear quarter to some degree and the inside rear bumper, but lots of people dont bother so its up to you really. Most VW spares outlets sell them and the fitting kits.

these were my thoughts too. but the main function is also to hold the bumper firmly at the corner ends. without the guards it is wiggling around...
it took me 6 months to track down 1 NOS rightside and then bought again a used rusted pair to get the missing left one. these dingies seem to be rarest of the rare. now I have one rightside surplus. blasted and coated. interested? can bring it to esher in march.

Mine are still with the van in good condition. Arazona has been kind to it...

I will get mine powdercoated & fit them back on when I do my final fit up.

Still got ours on, but thats the kind Cali weather for you, shame ot wasn't so kind to the rubbers though :!:

Still got mine and an original spare all powder coated in white. Will be re fitted when the bumper goes on. Only said SOME people choose not to re fit theirs.

Has anyone got any idea where I can get a pair? Mine were all rotted out, the not so kind Iowa weather. A mate let me have a s/h pair of late split ones but they don't fit.

Places such as FBI and Volksheaven will carry them in stock. Expect to pay about £40 a pair for some nice s/h ones.
I got some ok ones for about £20 at Vanfest last year.

I'll have a trawl in the autojumble at this seasons shows then. That'll give the missus something to do.:D

Latest posts