still engine trouble !!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sedan

Reaction score
I've build a new engine last year. In the beginning there was no problem :D But on the way back from France I've start to notice some probs :cry: I was driving on the highway when at some point on a little hill I didn't have the power I needed :shock: I've made it over the hill but I didn't got the power back :cry:
A few day later I drove it again and there was no prob but later I've got it again . So the problem comes and goes :roll: .
I've checked the ignition, the carbs, timing, the compression but didn't find a thing. Due to the fact that the problem isn't there all the time it's not so easy to locate it.

Does anybody have any idea what the problem could be :?: :?: :? :?:

Hmmm....

do you ever get the problem from first starting the engine or only after it has ran for some time?

is there any road conditions that highlight the problem (you mentioned the hill)?

Is it present when the engine isnt being driven hard or ist it following a foot to the floor moment?

Does it feel like fuel or air starvation?

Is the engine revving freely when you experience this problem?

Is their evidence of backfire or missing sequence?

Is there any undue noise metal on metal etc...?

Could be a crack somewhere? my old engine had this and acted exactly the same. Check your compression 8)

The problem is there mostly there after driving for some time but i've also experienced it when just starting.
I first got the problem when climbing but then it was there when on a flat road. I'm also towing a caravan but then again it's also there when not towing. You just feal it better when towing or climbing.
If experience it when just cruising at normal speed so no pedal to the metal.
There's no backfire and no metal to metal noise .
It's just there some times and sometime it's not :roll:
The compression is fine :)

Could it be something other than the engine i.e. a gearbox or brake problem causing a bit of extra resistance to going forwards?

What year van is it? Discs or drums?

Or is it definitely an engine problem?

My '71 felt very low on power when I drove it for the MOT last year (first MOT with me) The calipers were sticking and as such rather warm. The van didn't perform too well with the sticking calipers. As soon as they were freed off it could go up hills a bit better 8)

It's also a '71 and indeed has disc brakes that I'm now restoring
The discs are worn due to sticky calipers but I had the prob before they got sticky and schould that be the problem schouldn't I experience it all the time :?:

Check that the throttle butterfly opens enough when someone floors the pedal.It doesn't have to fully open,just short of full is fine.Could be a worn pedal linkage under the cab floor or under the pedal iteslf,which twists around to reduce the opening amount.

The throttles both open completly and the pedal and linkage are new
so that's not the prob I think :?

is your dizzy advancing correctly? could be a ruptured Vacuum diaphragm or if a 009 a sticky advance mech. Easiest test is to substitute with another.

Probably best to wait until you have sorted the brakes out and then drive it around and see if the problem is still there. If its still there what sort of carbs and fuel pump have you got?

thanks guys for al the tips :D :D
I'm still sorting out the brakes. The carbs are empi/cadron 36mm. The fuelpomp is the original. The distributor is a 009 with an elektronic replacement whithin. Is that a wellknown problem that the get sticky :?:

so I've still got problems with the engine :cry: :cry:
after almost trying everthing I still can't find the problem with this engine :evil:
the last thing i've done now is put on some new piston rings clean up the valves and heads and changed the seals but no succes . I've syncronised the carbs and set the timing right, cleaned the fuelfilter and line , added some new fire wires and claened the airfilters, adjusting the valves didn't help ether. :? :?
I don't know what to do anymore :cry: :cry:
anyone got any idea :idea: :idea: plaese let me know

I'm running a set of empi/ cadrons 36 mm and don't have any set that could replace it :roll:

How is the clutch? It might be slipping giving the impression of lack of power especially uphills.

Latest posts