Subaru 2.2 conversion, should I..?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanomavro

Reaction score
Hi guys, 1st of all I apologise if this subject has been hammered in the past, scanned a few pages and couldn't see owt so here goes...
Nothing set in stone, just a possibility of acquiring a 2.2 non turbo subaru engine, apparently with loom already modified for a split, (so should imagine similar to a bay) and adaptor plate for gearbox supplied with it. powder coated bits n bobs (inlets etc) n almost ready to fly. I believe they req a mod sump if van lowered as they sit low, and will require cooling system fitted to underside. Is there much more to do beyond these mods etc...?
my vans a 72 crossover.
Any thoughts on this process, pros and cons etc.. :?:

experience and expertise in this area much appreciated... dunno wether to snap it up before it goes

The guys askin about a grand for it I believe.

Got a spare grand and somewhere dry to store it ? Is the current engine giving you concerns ?

Then I would say yes - might try and beat the price down a bit.. and have you seen it running ? If all is good then keep it until ..

a) you have time noney to fit or b) something happens to your current set-up that forces your hand.

There are a couple of pro-shops that fit these but normally at about 3k a pop (plus the engine)
but that includes some of the mods this one has already.

Fuel -injection = power and economy (sod originality imo)

JS

Check out these two sites and give them a call for more info

http://www.rjes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.tsrengineconversions.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your van, your choice :D

Sounds tempting and like said above - if your current engine ain't sweet then give it ago (but expect the conversion costs to mount) ;)

Hi guys, don't really know much about the current engine, bought the van and started a ground up resto immediately, it's a gold block recon, I know that, and it started 1st turn of the key after bein stood for 7 years.. :D
Carrying out the works no prob, I teach automotive and have access to the college workshops, I have always been into the air-cooled notion, had no intensions of swapping till it was offered and i started weighing it up. I love the sound of aircooled n everything, reminds me of bein a kid, ma dad had a variant for years. My main reason for considering converting is fuel economy, I'm gonna use the arse off this van and it's gonna have the hi top back on it, it took 3 of us, wiv a struggle I might add, to lift it off, its really heavy..! A friend of a friend (that old chestnut) has said a trip that used to cost them £80 in fuel, now costs them approx £45 after being done, would be ace if even semi accurate. :D So as far as reasoning, there it is, mainly wondering if there are another hurdles/mods requiring that someone who runs a subaru on here may be able to highlight and offer feed back on. 1 for sure is heating, I spose folks just go for propane etc, will scout around conversion sites for that as suggested anyways.

Ta for input fellahs, may the Schwartz be wiv you.. :mrgreen:

Hi Again

By all means visit the sites mentioned wwk etc.. just reading the forums should help. Even better if you can visit/talk to a real owner - then please let us allknow the news.

JS

Latest posts