'The Samba' forum....is it me or............?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
clyde said:
I like it on here but i have noticed a few more posts getting locked lately. I suppose this could just be "over policing" or a price we pay for being so popular. Ive been here from day one and it never used to happen so maybe its the latter. :roll:

I think we only lock the posts thats items have sold :? , to make it handier for buyers...

I'd like to keep the forum feeling the way Mike started it out and would want it to stay that way. I'd be dead embarressed if we didnt :oops: . Popularity is a problem though :| .

Johnny said:
clyde said:
I like it on here but i have noticed a few more posts getting locked lately. I suppose this could just be "over policing" or a price we pay for being so popular. Ive been here from day one and it never used to happen so maybe its the latter. :roll:

I think we only lock the posts thats items have sold :? , to make it handier for buyers...

I'd like to keep the forum feeling the way Mike started it out and would want it to stay that way. I'd be dead embarressed if we didnt :oops: . Popularity is a problem though :| .

Yeah, thats about it. If a van or item is sold and announced as such, then the thread is locked to stop it clogging up the page and allow 'live' ads to remain a priority. Thought it would be helpful, thats all. :)

Hiya All,

It's ironic that the great strength of the Samba, it's huge membership, is also it's greatest weakness. At once the casual reader has the benefit of a variety of opinions, but he is also subjected to to the wrath and scorn of those who traffic the forum and find his request redundant or in some way humorous. To be honest, Everett and the guys (most of 'em anyway) try to do a good job of policing the site. But more than one person looking for information has been burned.

Some of the Baywindow people left the Samba to form their own site, The Itinerant Air Cooled Forums http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Allthough this site speaks to all manners of VWs, it focuses on Baywindows. You might want to check it out if you have a spare minute or two.

And as for my fellow countrymen who either don't understand the US Postal Service or cannot return an e-mail...........what can I say? No matter where you go in this world, you'll find jerks.

its a shame really but i have had a similar thing on justkampers once and i got really bored of all the non-VW politics and various crap that people who probably dont have much else to do expose.

people seem to forget that to keep the scene going new people will come and go abd we all dont want to have a forensic knowledge of what petrol cap was fitted to a 1968 lhd fire truck.

that said i like it here and dont bother with any of the other forums, especially now JK seems to be more complicated (IMHO). if i ask about heaing the camper i get replies rather than idiot telling me i can search and find the answers - I know this but just fancy a chat with other on it.

cheers

i had some grief on the JK forum last year, don't go there anymore because of it. It was just one user to be fair but dont know what the hell i did to offend him but every time i posted on there i was getting harassed..... i had a load of pm messages off other users telling me to ignore him, because he was a twat and had upset many peeps on there, which i did. It was around the time i was asking peeps to vote for frank in that magazine comp. Hope he never finds his way on to here. :? ..... I do however find it very amusing the majority of these "Internet gangsters" or "keyboard terrorists" wouldn't say boo to a goose in the real world!! very sad indeed.

analord said:
if i ask about heaing the camper i get replies rather than idiot telling me i can search and find the answers - I know this but just fancy a chat with other on it.

i'm with you :wink:

there are times during the day when i just have to stop what i'm doing (nothing much, usually) and document exactly what's in my head on an internet forum of some description. i think there might be a medical name for it, but if forums weren't invented so that lonely mentals could have a bit of social contact then what were they invented for :|

trouble with certain other forums, and i believe this cropped up again the other night, is that somebody posts something inflammatory (and it's usually casual racism... the scene does attract its fair share of daily mailers it has to be said) and then you get the same people wailing, gnashing their teeth and so on, over and over and over again... much in the same way that the people who go down to court and throw eggs at accused criminals somehow think that it makes them more 'incensed of northampton' than the rest of us, when surely the easiest thing would be to just delete them when they first appear... freedom of speech and all that but you have to draw the line somewhere.

this happens on such a regular basis that it becomes somewhat depressing, and in the end you get people going on about groundhog day, and posting pictures of the titanic and so on, then a couple of days later exactly the same thread will start, and the same row will kick off with exactly the same people... and yet, as you so rightly say, ask a beginner's question in 'tech' and the same people will ask "can't you use the search function ? we don't want the same things cluttering up these pages."

*unfathomable*

as for the old "all it takes for evil to prevail..." quote then YES bigots are to be challenged and i've lost count of the times i've done it at anfield (racism is still very much alive and well in football) but this isn't real life... it's the internet.

dodgy post... deleted by moderator... the end - no back answers.

i don't know therefore if this site has a more 'liberal' membership, or you just have better moderators :wink:

"I do however mind it very amusing the majority of these "Internet gangsters" or "keyboard terrorists" wouldn't say boo to a goose in the real world!! "

you have just reminded me of the classic example of this with the Old Volks Home on VZI a while back, with all this threatening to cut people and people just getting angrier and angrier etc. funny and sad

analord said:
"I do however mind it very amusing the majority of these "Internet gangsters" or "keyboard terrorists" wouldn't say boo to a goose in the real world!! "

you have just reminded me of the classic example of this with the Old Volks Home on VZI a while back, with all this threatening to cut people and people just getting angrier and angrier etc. funny and sad

the keyboard warrior is alive, well and with us to stay, but the flip side of it is that back in 2001 i took 'my' football team from where i was living at the time up to liverpool to play a liverpool forum's team in a fundraiser for the HJC and it was interesting putting faces and personalities to what were before just usernames, and how ridiculously hard and threatening these lads were in real life compared to the bunch of east midlands puffs i was playing for at the time... which wasn't helped when we won 8-2.

*happy days*

keep smiling... and keep smiling... and leg iiiiiiiiiiit...

Clem said:
Johnny said:
clyde said:

Yeah, thats about it. If a van or item is sold and announced as such, then the thread is locked to stop it clogging up the page and allow 'live' ads to remain a priority. Thought it would be helpful, thats all. :)

Yep works for me. Not sensorship, just sensible. :lol:

Samba guys very helpful to me when building my engine (posted in the Engines/Performance section)

I can understand that they 'don't suffer fools ' when reading the same Q time and time again however.

Cheers

James

Latest posts