The Stone Roses review Heaton Park. (Manchester)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myvanway

Reaction score
The Stone Roses finally made the stage at Manchester’s Heaton Park last night — all four original members on soggy home soil — and up for the cup.

Mani, Reni, Ian Brown and John Squire... it looked like it might never happen.
As the band came on stage the crowd went absolutely bananas, with frontman Ian, asking: “Are you alright?”
Ian joked: “As you can see, we’ve still got it!”
Mani and Reni kept them ticking along like clockwork, and John played like he’d been on stage every day for the past 16 years in front of 100,000.
Reni’s drumming is something to behold — and worth the ticket price alone.
There were question marks about how he’d cope back on the big stage, but he more than answered them.
A lot has been said about Ian’s ability to hold a tune — but he sounded spot on to me.
A solid two fingers up to any critics watching, having Reni giving him a guide on backing vocals did the trick and he held the stage in style.
The crowd sang every word, even Bez and Rowetta — standing next to me — seemed to know the hymn sheet.
“I’m standing here/I really don’t think you could know that I’m in heaven when you smile”... you should have seen the smiles.
Mani, who was the constant Kofi Annan figure over the difficult wilderness years, looked proud to be back with his boys. And he deserved it.
Of all the people in the arena who should savour the atmosphere, it was him.
Picking out a highlight is tricky, but Fools Gold — all ten minutes of it — was absolute live genius.
I’ve seen some huge outdoor gigs in the past — Rolling Stones, Coldplay, Oasis, U2 — and this was up there.
They seldom played Fools Gold back in the day, adding to the feeling of a special occasion as Ian swaggered around on stage.
Red flares burned in the crowd — raising a few worried eyebrows. Glasto’s Michael Eavis even looked in fear for his beard at one point.
ian dedicated Elizabeth My Dear to the Queen, saying: “This is for them 200 miles down the road celebrating 60 years of tyranny.” All big bands in that kind of arena need a big song to send people home singing and smiling.
And pulling out I Am The Resurrection for the encore — it really doesn’t get much better. Amazing.
I’m a fan, but a five out five is only fair.
They have made a lot of people happy.
Let’s just hope this is the start of something, and not just the end of another beginning.
The band embraced each other to the biggest cheer of the night as the gig ended.
Stealing Ian’s mic, Mani said: “Not bad for a bunch of old c****.”

Set list

I Wanna Be Adored

Mersey Paradise

(Song For My) Sugar Spun Sister

Sally Cinnamon

Where Angels Play

Shoot You Down

Bye Bye Badman

Ten Storey Love Song

Standing Here

Fools Gold

Something’s Burning

Waterfall

Don’t Stop

Love Spreads

Made Of Stone

This Is The One

She Bangs The Drums

Elizabeth My Dear

I Am The Resurrection

:D

Man I cant wait till tommorow,and I couldnt give a sh!t if it rains Ive waited 16 years for this and Im gettin Mashed!!! :lol: 8) :D

Yep Monday booked off!!!!! Oh and friday for Camperjam!!! :mrgreen:

Hey I was there to! Roses were amazing, especially during "this is the one" it was a near as I have ever got to a spiritual high!

Having said how good they were it was just as well cos the venue and the organisation at Heaton Park was a shambles and that's being kind. I missed all of Primal Scream trying to get a drink, but instead got close to being crushed when I finally got to the front of the bar, people were having to get pulled out like at Hillsbrough, it was really scarey. Then of course they shut the bar...... :oops:

Still it wouldn't be the Roses without it being somewhat of a shambles :D

It was worth it though, I wouldn't of missed it for the world!

I'm off to see them at T in the park next weekend. Always take reviews with a pinch of salt but a good one doesn't half add to the anticipation

Oh and if your going to Heaton Park on Sunday, put some Welles on and pre book a taxi back and be very generous as to what you offer him, cos he'll get lots of cash offers while he's waiting for you to come out!

I'm there tomorrow night too, driving home after and then work on Monday ... :?

Can't wait :D

Friday was superb, got there at 4pm decided to stop drinking as primal scream came on stage as was getting no further drunk and want to pee all the time!

Top tip.. Go to front pit and get a wrist band as soon as you arrive, guarantees a better view.
b968ff3b.jpg
c9d8b84a.jpg
cd1d3544.jpg

Was their on sat night too!
Absolutely amazing, sounded perfect to me, was abit worried about Ian browns vocals but he nailed every song! What a fantastic live band an night :D

Cheers all,
A buzzin wilf

I'm just in :) Awesome!

Well worth the money and aggro. :D

Just got home, Words cant describe how I felt when they cam out on stage......it was emotional!!! :party0041: :party0041:
Fire works at the end and a bit of 'Bob' to close the curtains on what has to be one of the highlights of my life so far!! :D 8)
Awesome.

The 'fill in' music was superb, when Stoned Love came on it was so exciting :D

I enjoyed the support acts too, The Justice Tonight lot were really good and had a cool line up overall, The Wailers were cool and Plan B was more bearable than I though it might be :lol:

But, support schmummort, the Roses smashed it. Outstanding. I may never bother to another live gig again.*

* Thats a complete lie.

Think its going to be a while before they can mow the lawn again!!!!!! :shock:
Realy hard work jumping up and down to "She bangs the drums" :lol:
And even harder going round the maze to the bar!!!!!!
So glad I was warned in advance!! ;)

We were wellied up :) We also had a pal in hospitality, so no bar queues and free food :)

Hi all,

Glad you all had a good time.

Don't want to put a downer on.this but need your help.

Some friends of ours' son, Chris Brahney, was at the gig on Sunday night and hasn't been seen since 11.30pm on Sunday night. He was last seen heading towards Middleton/Langley where the park and ride was.

If you go onto Facebook and search for Chris Brahney, his pic is there along with the contact details for the GM Police.

The Stone Roses have put this on their Facebook wall, so if you can please, please, please share it that will be amazing.

Thanks all

Latest posts