TIG welder advice anyone

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subheatadey

Reaction score
Hi all, I have MIG and gas but i want a TIG welder but I know bugger all about them apart from some people suggest getting a AC/DC one but they are expensive. So my question is anyone with experience know which is the best, budget and affordable TIG I don't have much money so it needs to be as in-expensive as possible but able to weld thin gauge S/S and alloy and reliable.
Cheers

Can't really advise myself, but there's loads of info in the link below. Don't be put off by the title it does cover TIG.
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm no expert but many years ago I did use one and if you need to weld alloy the heat dissipates so quick you need a fair bit of power. Also get a high frequency start. cheaper scratch start ones get contaminated, no good for exotic metals plus it messes up the shape of the tungsten tip for your flame / arc pattern. I used to weld stainless pipes and alloy sheet about 3mm thick. DC gives smoother weld.

Get a wow wow pedal to control too. Good if your sitting down.

You need AC to weld aluminium .......you can get small inverter sets but as a general rule you get what you pay for ....

You need AC for Ally, DC for steel and stainless.

You get what you pay for - i'd go for a second hand industrial type maching from a recognised brand over a new chinese one every time.

Whats your intended use?

Jon

Latest posts