Too high!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splash

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a bay but have a bit of a problem. I want a pop-top, which I understand are 6ft 7in tall standard, although I'll probably lower the suspension a bit.
My garage inside is 7ft 6in high but the up and over door is only 6ft 1in!
I thought about dropping the van onto a jig-type frame with wheels just to put it away over winter OR get some small wheels to stand it on (thus lowering it) to put it away occassionally.
A garage door swap is out of the question - anyone have any ideas to get it inside or the same problem?

ok so you cant change the up and over....

ditch the roof?

6-7 inch drop is gonna be difficult if you want to retain the drive comfort a multiple approach maybe

dropped spindles, adjustable beam, adjustable spring plates and a roof chop :lol: .....

Hi we have a stock height bay with a Devon Poptop I am 6ft 8" tall and I look down on the pools of water that gather in the cleverly designed rain trap on these roofs (early water recycling or possibly in built bird bath! - very eco friendly for the 60's). So I think 6ft 7" is a little off the mark probably more like 6ft 4 to 5" inc roof vent, would go out and measure it but the van is not here. Anyone got a stock height van with poptop and a tape measure to hand? is a tin top out of the question? that would be very do able without going totally slammed?

Cheers
Nick & Zile :D

I need a 4 berth and thought all tin-tops were for 2 - I bow to your superior knowledge if that's wrong!
Like the idea of the grooved drive/garage entrance - but need to talk the mrs round. Thanks to all for thoughts/ideas/suggestions.

I had exactly the same issue with our Dormobile roof. Van was mid-resto and just rusting away under the Just Kampers cover under the car-port. The up and over garage door had to be replaced anyway, so we ended up getting new garage doors in the end. The side hinged type that open outwards so get the full height (http://www.garador.co.uk/doors/sh/shbeaumont.html. Couldn't quite stretch to the electric roller type...and these reduce headroom too anyway.

I've got a tin top and two kids but a decent awning sorts out all camping problems and the rust to gutters, tears to canvas and wearing out struts that you get with a poptop are all gone.

And you can use all sorts of roof racks to carry camping stuff rather than filling the van to bursting point.

I wouldn't go back to a poptop after owning a tintop and you'd have no height issues- JOIN THE TINTOP MASSIVE!

I am certainly not disagreeing with Johny as he is the Guru for all thing Devon on this site, but at 43 I cetainly aint grown and am still looking down on the top of my bus! However I must say this is a 69 bus and she squats down at the back (not down to lowering but age I fear), plus we got in an Ikea car park this year with a 6ft 6/7 height restriction earlier this year!!

Regards
N&Z

Will check out the bus this weekend.
:wink:

we fitted roller doors this year and have no problem geting the van into a standard garage, havent measured it but will give it a go.

A trick i heard was to extend your aerial (if you have one) to the same height as the top of the van and if it hits you know youe too tall

whats above the garage doors??.could you raise the lintle and fit a taller door or just simple lift the door up to the new position and weld/rivit a piece of metal the the bottom of the door?

Above doors are soffit and then guttering/sloping roof, so that's out of the question. Plus there are 2 matching expensive doors (one integral to the house, one not) and it's on a new estate, at the front of the house.
What about my first thoughts - small wheels or take wheels off and use jig/frame?

small wheels....aint likely as you have a minimum 6 inch drop....

a jig...... again you have a 6 inch drop thats fecking low fella your gonna struggle ......

attach casters to the beams and roll it in when you pull the wheels off.... :lol:

seriously you could knock up 4 dollies that the beams sit into and drop the bus onto them. Just need to move any small stones, fluff or polen from the route or the wheels will grind to a halt (all you skateboarders will know where I'm coming from)....

Araon said:
seriously you could knock up 4 dollies that the beams sit into and drop the bus onto them. Just need to move any small stones, fluff or polen from the route or the wheels will grind to a halt (all you skateboarders will know where I'm coming from)....

I HEAR YA!

and you always land on you knees and hands....OUCH!

Latest posts