Towbar advice anyone?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carole

Reaction score
I need to fit a towbar to my van ('71 EB) with twin electrics.

We had a towbar fitted to our everyday car today so I thought Id pick the brains of the fitter refitting a towbar to the bus, but not suprisingly got the 'scratched head and sharp intake of breath' response.... :? :?

In an ideal world I would like a removable one but not sure if anyone will do it.........??

I see that JK do one for £120, self fit, but would be interested to see or hear anyone's views on this if anyone has it fitted?

any advice anyone??

thanks in advance.....carole :) :) :)

I have one fitted to my T3 that has a removable gooseneck, idon't see that sort very often on Uk buses.
I will get a pic of it for you.
iwas going to get one fitted to my Panel, but the exhaust is in the way now I have extractors on it...bugger.

thanks for that lobus......having done a bit more research it would seem that Watlig Towbars in St Albans are the people to see, they fitted a towbar to Jamie Oliver's (ex) split which was a complete pig by all accounts........

they also fitted one to David Eccles Split, which was featured in a 'how to' in a previous Camper and Commercial mag.

I'll keep you posted....

Carole

I've got an OG early towbar which the main tube "apparently" sits inside the bumper. You then drill thru thu the bumper to mount the main towball bracket. I'm guessing (tho i've never tried to fit it!) the man towball bkt unbolts just leaving 4 10mm holes (2 invisible as it bolts on the underside of the bumper).

I will take some pics if I can dig it out tomorrow.

UPDATE.....

For all of you out there with either,

a) a 1971 bus

b) a lowered bus

c) a bigger engine than stock

d) a non-stock exhaust..........

e) a US spec bus with US spec electrics

having an exhaust fitted will be expensive!!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

mine has all of the above except (e).

As such I have no option but to have an exhaust fabricated from scratch. any or all of the above mean that a stock towbar will not fit, in the main because of clearance issues. And that aint cheap........ :roll:

Lets just say that I could buy a 4-bow westy rack from Creative and still have some change left over and you will start to get the idea....

Watlings at St.Albans are fitting it for me, but not until the end of August as that is their earliest slot.

You have been warned....!!

Carole

just noticed i kept saying 'exhaust'.... :oops:

it's been a long day......

i meant 'towbar', obviously.....!

still getting over the shock of how much it's going to cost me..... :roll: :roll:

Latest posts