• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Uber Secure Pedal locks -

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
70-CA-Panel said:
KevH said:
Analog said:
no pictures, will take some, but it does, as I've done it. the shank is tight in the hole (TWSS!) and i can roll the top bar up off of the pedals with a little force, and scraping on my steering column

Oh buggers. I'll try this later today and hope not to get the same result. :shock:

I know that martin.sim had issues with the fitting too and he designed a neat loop to go around the column. Could be the same problem/solution. If Uber reads this, it could be the next variant (hint!!!). :D

K

Hey Kev,

Have you tried it today, was thinking of ordering one too...

Thankfully mine is a tight fit, tight as a ducks ass. :lol:

K

Analog said:
Can anyone else remove their bars without needing to undo the padlock? all this time i thought it was because i had too small a padlock, but i have a new one and the shank is as tight as it will be, but i can still get this device off with the padlock in place?

I can get mine off with the padlock on too. the long thin pedal arms are quite flexible when you push them hard apart in opposite directions. Remember a thief won't be gentle with it, they'll be very rough, mine comes off with 7/10 effort.

Simon.

That loop over the steering column would solve the problem.

Hi guys, not been on here for ages , but read the posts and thanks for feedback. I'll look to mod the next batch with blocks on the ends too.

As others have said if they want it they will take it. Battery power tool grinder/ dremel would remove most devices.

the loop looks ok, but i think it could still be bent up. Also remember this is me in my garage making them and keeping the price low, so i don't have access to any fancy cutting equipment.

Blocks on the ends will prevent them possibly being removed.

Taken onboard recent feedback re possible removal and come up with an improved design of a dowel at each each that is welded in the lower half and protrudes through holes in the top plate.

All orders in production or recieved from now on will be to this new design, :D
DSCF9550_zps26fc79de.jpg

Analog said:
Looks good, is there a recall on the existing models now?

Given that Uber makes these more as a hobby than a business, a recall is probably asking a lot, IMHO.

But I'd be happy to pay the cost of an exchange for the uprated version, say a tenner plus P&P.

Any thoughts, Uber?

K

I appreciate it's a hobby, but why should i be stuck with a bit of metal that doesn't do the job that it was bought for.

I'm not knocking Uber as he has addressed the issue, and it's not an uprated version, it's actually making it work.
i don't mind posting it back to him at my cost for fixing, it's not for someone else to say i should pay more for the actual product to do it's job.. i've already forked out on a couple of padlocks that are not cheap to try and get it to work

again i'm not complaining about this, but please don't tell me i'm asking a lot, that'll be decided between uber and myself

Guys in a way you are both correct. The original Idea was borne from a quick personal need to secure my own camper when going to the beach one day. Someone on here spotted it and asked if I could make them one. Its developed from there. Mines I LHD, so reversed the design for a rhd. Tested it on a friends and worked fine. Had maybe 1 or 2% issue over this time of reported loose or tight fit. Which I have resolved. However as they are all made the same I put this down to tolerances and possible changes by vw over the years. Or maybe someone stripped the column and pedal and realigned them slightly?. first one on mine was tight as I had my camper in my garage and custom made to fit mine. This tolerance was loosened so it could fit more than just mine, but seems to offer the best middle ground to fit all. One size fits all scenario. It was always sold as a deterrent not an anti theft device. If you are old enough to remember the autolok around the gear lever and handbrake it could be removed by applying medium force to the gear lever to remove. I know I lost the key once. Back to my device, I do see the latest design as a new development and improvement on the original, not a correction. But I also agree if yours is one of those at the outer edge of tolerance and falls off then this is also no good. As in the past when this has occurred the person has emailed me and I have addressed the issue. This has happened maybe 3 or 4 times. I still have my camper tucked away in the garage but I'm not on this forum as often . so best to email or pm me if you have an issue rather than posting on the thread expecting a reply.
When the lock was first made I used metal I had and paint on the shelf. This got used up long ago and I now buy fresh steel and paint. But the price remained the same. With the latest lock the price has had to be increased to take into account the extra steel I need and increased process and time taken to build each one.

If you have a problem with the original lock pm me and we will sort something out. If you just want to upgrade to the new design I will do this for £10 inc return postage. So you just pay post to me.

Latest posts