Urgent help needed

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seamus1982

Reaction score
Evening, hope some of you guys are about! Took the van out this evening, filled it up with petrol and then she wouldn't start again, I think somehow we've fried the battery by putting petrol in her as mad a it seems! Anyone had a similar problem, when the issues with the battery and charging system after we picked it up!

Also, the urgent part, anyone know the number for the breakdown insurance through cherished vehicles?

Sean

Hi!

Sorry to hear you are stuck. here you go dude, phone number for Motor Assistance Plus

0800 731 5123

Not too sure on your problem, could be alsorts?, points, blockage in fuel filter? More people will be on in the morning to help - at least you have a number to get you sorted.

More details on how it wont start would help diagnose, is the engine cranking over, or is it totally dead, or turning over slowly for example?

Good luck,

Alistair

Just got home after £25 taxi ride to get the car and pick up the spare battery, to go back fit it jump start it and get her home.

Could this problem be caused by the fuel tank not being earthed properly? Like I said, this happened last week when we put petrol in!

Thanks
Sean

Sorry posted a reply before seeing yours, thanks guys.

Alistair, literally all was fine, pulled up at the petrol station, put petrol in, went to drive off but no power to get the engine going, so bump started her lights were like using candles, not enough power to use indicators and after a few miles she packed up. Got the voltmeter out and tested the battery, completely dead, showing 2 volts, didn't even have enough to bump start! Went back with the spare battery but decided to try jumping her first but there was nothing (this is a brand new battery by the way). Stuck the spare battery in which was only 20% charged, jumped her and she was right as rain. It definitely has something to do with the petrol tank, as strange as it sounds, it just zaps the power from the battery.

Cheers
sean

Its nowt to do with the tank your tank is isolated from the electrical system of your bus except of course the gauge sender, your not chargeing the battery on the move, you should have had a red warning light on your dash...

you still need to diagnose the dynamo / regulator issue you obviously have...

Did you have any red genny light? can you see a light on the dash as you switch the ignition on? when and if you get the engine turning does the light extinguish?

Araon,

I replaced the regulator on Thursday and genny lights now gone, the van starts fine everytime apart from when at the petrol station! Generator is kicking out loads of voltage I've already checked it. I am adamant it's something tripping when I put petrol in as like I said, it starts fine all other times, but as soon as I put petrol in bang, the battery is drained completely! I know this must sound crazy but literally last night we parked up at a friends and the van sat for an hour, started her up and drove down the road with lights and all on stopped at another friends and stayed for two hours. Left and she was fine, lights working indicators working radio fine, lights nice and bright etc etc. Stopped 5 minutes later and put petrol in, got back in and no power to even turn the engine, bumped started it and like I said lights were like candles and eventually she packed up. When this happened last week, I had to get a new battery as it wouldn't charge past the 20%!

Cheers
sean

Araon,

you might be right. You got me thinking about the genny light and it doesn't come on with the ignition, checked the generator and it's giving no voltage, will have to check the regulator after breakfast! Must be the worlds biggest coincidence that this has inky happened at petrol stations!

I've got a new Bosch regulator from just campers (link below) which I fitted Thursday, the instructions were in Spanish and it had a few more terminals than the old one, maybe I've wired it up wrong, anyone got one if these? I have 3 wires in from the dynamo, the Df and D+ and the earth, two come out of the regulator, the genny light wire and the battery feed!

Hope I can get her fixed for dubs in the park tomorrow!

Cheers
sean

Latest posts