• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted Ply for floor in Earlybay/advice on what kind to buy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy123

Reaction score
Looking for some ply to put in my Earlybay floor as the lino is currently sitting on the metal. Maybe you've bought some and have a chunk left over, or have advice about which ply to get? Any suggestions, offers gratefully received.
Cheers,
Jimmy

I used 9mm Marine ply in mine and fitted decent carpet underlay underneath in the recessed areas

Some sound-deadening rubber to the metal with 6 mm ply over that to bring it level with the outer edges which are a little higher. Then 9 mm on top. Will take a couple of sheets of each to minamise joints which should over-lap. Ply from Timbmet or Lathams.

Thanks for advice - much appreciated fellas. So marine ply because it's more waterproof, and two sheets of 8x4 should do it..?

If you haven't done this already..
The trick is to fit ply (I think 18 or 15mm) into the recessed part - the corrigated metal - which you need to shape using a jigsaw. This brings the surface flush with the metal by the sliding door. Then I agree with those above a - 9mm piece which you can then use over the entire floor and can be then covered with vinyl and will fit in your (removable) sliding door threshold.

I have done this on a couple of van conversions and nothing is square, so a lot of templating is required to get a good fit.

As trinket said above, use 6mm ply in the recess area to bring it up level, then 9mm on top of that to cover the whole floor.

I used a spare roll of lining wallpaper to get the shape right before actually cutting the board. Unfortunately due to the sheet size you can buy 8' x 4' ,it has to be done in three sections but I cut this so its virtually in line with the rear seat base.

The back part under the seat is in two bits

Thanks for the pics + advice, much appreciated both. So 6mm and then 9mm. And wallpaper lining is a great idea to get the shape right - cheers for that Nugsy.

Latest posts