• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted: rear tinware over gearbox

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlie34

Reaction score
As above really. I'm in need of the tinware over the gearbox end to fit a 69 bay.

Cheers
Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that dual or single port?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I paid about 100 for mine. I suspect I was ripped off.

But there was someone on here doing the extension for the beetle piece. Alot cheaper. I'd recommend that.

Ah. I didn't know you could get an extension. I was considering making a piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i think i`ll have to make an extension piece for mine aswell - i was quoted £100 by several people for one which to be honest, i know its a more unsuual piece, but still expensive!. There was a guy making the extensions on here a few years ago, but i don`t think he`s doing them anymore.

Seems the going rate. Mates just go with scooby on his motor. I mentioned this thread to him. He sold it in two days for 100. I think I might make a run for the extension pieces. It's nuts

I`ll be making one for mine in a coupl eof weeks when i have my engine built ready to go in. Unfortunately, i don`t have an original to go off, so it`ll be pictures and some accurate measurements!

I do. Was just thinking I'll make a wooden last from it and it should be fairly simple. Just got to take it off the van..

Here are the pics from when i put my own wanted ad up a few weeks ago -

One shows the front and one shows the back

That's it. Literally spot welded to a Beetle piece. If you got some original beetle tin ware you will have a very nice bit.

Are there any good repop versions these days of the beetle part? My last bay I used a repop and it was crap

If you want a cheeper option that seals better than the metal vs hard rubber you could do as I did.
I took a late bay foam seal, put some adhesive on the top of the front tin and slipped the edge into the grove in the foam seal.
9aae9018b1054ab8ec09036df0c4b257.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have you got some better pics of what you did there? So the foam pushes over the beetle rear tin edge and then butts up to the rubber seal on the body work somehow?

Hi Mike,
Sorry I don't have any other pictures and the engine is not in the van at present.

Yes exactly what you say, there is nothing more to it than that.
You will see when you get the foam seal that one side is weather proof.
It's a great fit and seals really nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On eBay for £35 plus £5 postage https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F263342429009

Yep - all the suppliers have picked it up. No idea of the quality but I'm pretty sure it'll be better than my foam seal lol !

Original one will be very hard to find for it only came out in 71 models.
Heritage now sells a repro version very cheap, problem solved for most of our Buses!
https://www.vwheritage.com/front-engine-tinware,-1600cc-twinport-black

Abel

Latest posts