Wax Oil?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KTetley

Reaction score
Thinking on protecting my bus from the british elements and have heard of people using wax oil. Can anyone confirm of this is the best thing to use, how and what should be covered?

Thanks

Kev
1971 Westy

are you talking paint work or the belly of the bus?

paintwork then go for something like Ankor wax

wax oils available in clear or black and is good for the underside and all the inner channels nooks and crannies

I use Ankor Wax for the underside, and all internal cavities. You can use Waxoyl in the same way, just sprayed or painted on and in ... it all runs into the nook and gives good coverage. I prefer Ankor as its thin naturally and hardens on air contact so is easier to work with. Both do a good job and will need to be reapplied semi-rugularly externally.

For paintwork use Ankor Way on very flat paint or surface rust if you like the 'look' - but it will take some removing if you ever want a show winning shiney paint job in the future. On shiney paint just use car polish. :)

The other thing ankor will darken the look of the paint considerably......it will buff to a deep shine but takes a hell of a lot of work as Clem states it hardens on exposure most use it for the aged matt look it offers with little effort.

I have just done the front of mine with Waxoyl and Underseal. Painted everything accessable with the underseal and then sprayed waxoyl in the chasis legs and all parts I couldn't get a brush to.

Word of warning though, Make sure you put some plastic sheets or cardboard down under the van as it will drip. This stuff gets everywhere as well so worth clearing some space around you.

Waxoyl isn't much good in cold weather and eventually water gets behind it. Tectyl is by far the best rustproofer wax going (used routinely in the marine industry) and easier to apply as it comes in aerosol cans. I think Karmann Konnection sell it.

Clem said:
I use Ankor Wax for the underside, and all internal cavities. You can use Waxoyl in the same way, just sprayed or painted on and in ... it all runs into the nook and gives good coverage. I prefer Ankor as its thin naturally and hardens on air contact so is easier to work with. Both do a good job and will need to be reapplied semi-rugularly externally.

For paintwork use Ankor Way on very flat paint or surface rust if you like the 'look' - but it will take some removing if you ever want a show winning shiney paint job in the future. On shiney paint just use car polish. :)

Araon said:
The other thing ankor will darken the look of the paint considerably......it will buff to a deep shine but takes a hell of a lot of work as Clem states it hardens on exposure most use it for the aged matt look it offers with little effort.

Guys, what affect do you think it would have on MATT paint?

IMG_1309.jpg

I dont mind the colour geting darker - infact I would prefer that - but what about cleaning the bus, I figure it would be real hard to get the wax off from matt paint to get the dirt off - you would end up sanding it? :? :?:
:sign0013: :sign0006:

i have waxoylled the whole of my bus......darkens the paint and does attract dirt...but you can wash it normally....takes a bit more detergent to remove totally.....

It has a very tactile feel to it :lol:

but seriously the more effort you put into the finnish the the appearance and feel changes

mjknight71 said:
i have waxoylled the whole of my bus......darkens the paint and does attract dirt...but you can wash it normally....takes a bit more detergent to remove totally.....

Araon said:

but seriously the more effort you put into the finnish the the appearance and feel changes

morrislubricantsonline.co.uk/ said:
A solvent deposited, general purpose medium to long term rust preventative with water displacing properties. On drying, a thin grease film provides long term indoor protection or medium to long term outdoor protection dependent upon storage conditions. Application, preferably by dipping but spraying or brushing may also be employed. Removal is by hydrocarbon solvent or by use of a suitable alkaline cleaner.

So, looks like you can use an 'alkaline cleaner' to get it off easier.

I found directions to make your own alkaline cleaner on ehow - http://www.ehow.com/how_4557093_make-allnatural-alkaline-cleaner.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :shadey:

I was going to work on the chassis next, but you guys made me excited at the prospect of making the paint darker! I might get some Ankor Wax and do that next!

Where is the best / cheapest place to get some? There used to be a guy on egay selling it, but I can't find him.. :?

cunning plan said:
mjknight71 said:

Araon said:

morrislubricantsonline.co.uk/ said:
A solvent deposited, general purpose medium to long term rust preventative with water displacing properties. On drying, a thin grease film provides long term indoor protection or medium to long term outdoor protection dependent upon storage conditions. Application, preferably by dipping but spraying or brushing may also be employed. Removal is by hydrocarbon solvent or by use of a suitable alkaline cleaner.

So, looks like you can use an 'alkaline cleaner' to get it off easier.

I found directions to make your own alkaline cleaner on ehow - http://www.ehow.com/how_4557093_make-allnatural-alkaline-cleaner.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :shadey:

I was going to work on the chassis next, but you guys made me excited at the prospect of making the paint darker! I might get some Ankor Wax and do that next!

Where is the best / cheapest place to get some? There used to be a guy on egay selling it, but I can't find him.. :?

Its not cheap http://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The chap on ebay was frost auto restoration but he doesn't seem to have any at the mo, might be worth asking :)

i use ankor wax on my bug, i get it from usk valley fluid power (abergavenny) only catch is morris lubricants will only supply it with min order of 4 x gallon tins works out about 20 quid for a gallon

I used black wax-oil in my arches and floorpan, if you get a good coat on it leaves a good finish i think

Latest posts