Weber 32/36 progressive, anyone using

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oh.go.on.then

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm just building up my new 1776. I was going to use the standard carb and re-jet to suit thinking it was a pict 34.

Taking it off today and the inlet manifold preheat pipes are completely blocked and the carb is actually a Solex 30/31. I think this is too small for a 1776 really.

I do have a brand new weber progressive 32/36. I have been loathed to use it as I haven't heard anything good about them yet and can't find anyone to tell me what jets to use. Even Euro carb said they don't know as they don't supply them.

Is anyone using a progressive successfully? Was it easy to set up? Should I just sell it and buy stock replacement?

I don't want to go twin carbed as I want standard looks, easy maintainance and good fuel economy but a bit more power would be nice.

Cheers all

I've got a single weber 32/36 which I was planning on fitting in the next week or so, so I will let you know what it's like. If it goes ok and you still want to go stock I will have a 34 pict solex which I've just had cleaned out, next gaskets and jets etc up for sale?

Steve

Hi Steve, thanks for that. I'd be really interested to know how you get on.

What engine is it going on? Do you have an idea of what Jets to use yet? I've been doing research and think the standard ones the Weber comes with will need tweeking as it comes jetted for a 2ltr pinto.

I used a twin choke on 1641 and had no bother, ran very nice don't know why they get some bad press

i fitted one a few years ago , it ran well but not as big a performance boost as i was expecting.
i think the main reason for bad press is that the mixture screw is hard to get to, making set-up a bit of a fiddle, also the choke connection sits mm's from the fanhousing making shorts possible from the wire. Also unless you're feeding warm air to the air filter from below tin manifold icing is likely in this weather.

I've got one on a type 4 1700. I set it up from new and learned that setting the choke was the first and most important thing to get right.
Then, small adjustments of the mixture screw, trial and error to relieve flat spotting was next.
Like Squirt said - it's round the back and a real pain to reach/adjust. This had to be done 'on the 'road' as it were, lots of stop starts. Think I annoyed the neighbours a bit too.
Got there in the end. Now very happy with it.

I was talking to a friend earlier who said that if I changed,one to a single weber carb I need to change my dizzy to a 009 without the vacuum....is that right??

No far from it you require a SVDA dissy (single vac dual advance) 009's also get a bad press for a good reason. I use a weber progressive (on a 2ltr) and have gathered a bit of helpful information on them, drop me a pm with your email and ill forward a coUple of pdf's, if you want. The Samba should be good for some jet sizes, have a search. They have their faults these carbs, but can be OK

Nice one Andy, I'll send you a PM.

I'd second SVDA although some Weber progressives do not have a vac port! You need to check your particular one, mine is a genuine Weber and does.

I've been checking this 32/36 carb out I got before I install it as it didnt really match the weber carb pictures online ( the fuel intake was on the right hand side as it sits on the manifold) anyway I've finally worked out its a L series and all I can find online is about it in datsuns?? My mate who I got it off says it came out of his mates bus, just thought I'd check if anyone else has fitted a 32/36 L series carburettor?? And if so how did it perform?

Thanks

Just for an update I fitted the 32/36 carb and took time setting it all up with the mixture, idle etc and must say what a difference it made, much better than the 34 pict.

Yes 1641. I haven't got a clue about the jets, I got it off a mate who said it was on his mates bus so I take it was set up for a VW. Sorry I can't be much more help, I would just put the rights jets in for the VW and go from there. It was definitely worth changing.

Latest posts