Westy Resto begins

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
andewilson said:
hi mate is this resto in real time or did it take place a while back as progress is astonishing

Brought to you as it happens! There's a lot to do as yet though. We're trying to get it with at least all the windows in, dash, drivers seat, lights and the engine wired in so we can go to the local club meet on Wednesday. For some reason, Steve laid down the challenge we'd have it done inside six weeks (This was before the underlying rot became evident) It also means he can have a shave!!!

Wish I'd got a new canvas from Rolf de Kam as the original one looks really shitty with the new paint. It's gonna have to wait for a few months though.... funds are running dry rapidly!

Had an absolute bastard of a day today.....

The seals for the rear sides and hatch had problems.... the seam for the glass had been moulded/ routed (how do they make these exactly???) too shallow, so there was no way they were going in. Full marks to Status VW who shipped and rang back with the tracking number for a replacement set within an hour of me ringing.

The cab door were the usual trial and swear loudly rebuild saga. Anyone that's done them will know.

As for putting the rear wiring back together. I managed to cut one of the trailer hook-up cables short and had to strip the sheathing back and start again.

On the positive side, both cab doors are in, one has all the glass back in; the towbar is on and wired up (just need to run some juice through and check it all work correctly- that be a laugh) and the windscreen is looks the tits.

Was bloody glad to get to the pub!

Tomorrow is another day.

Slide by to no. 601 for today episode:

http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jasonbye/gallery-show/G0000zDlxZgatq7A?_bqO=600&_bqH=eJzLCfSoCM709vc0cDZ0TM8Oqwg3S43PLg1O8zWxMjMysjIytbJyj_d0sXU3AIIql5yKqPTEkkJzRzV3z3h3Rx8f16BIbNIAsv4bBA--&ppg=25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Replacement seals have arrived now and the windows are in.

The lights have been doing there own thing. Eventually found a duff earth. The switch on the rear interior light has gone up the swanny and will need looking at.

Got the bench seat bracket in and found the bench seat is (I think) out a 74 with different seat base heights. There is a lower part of the frame which fouls by 1/2 an inch on the seat base. So I've either got to cut and reweld the seat frame or source another seat. For the minute I've taken the frame out and will be putting the singles back in.

Made some new rubber bumpers for the roofrack, put the trim on and fitted. Roof now looks really good.

Sliding door is on and is proving difficult to line up, even though it had been on before the new panels were tacked in. So the seal had to come back out and have some ground of the backs to ease it in.

Today's images of happiness start at no. 623

http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jasonbye/gallery-show/G0000zDlxZgatq7A?_bqO=600&ppg=25&_bqH=eJzzNylIdDRwLHGuigwu9C_3C4sPds.JynIt9vG0MjMxszIytbJyj_d0sXU3AIIql5yKqPTEkkJzRzV3z3h3Rx8f16BIbNIAvfQbMg--" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Got the cab all buttoned up. Well pleased with the seat belts from Heritage. Engine is all back together and started on the key.... nice after six weeks of standing. All of the iffy electrics have been rectified apart from the light in the back which seems to have developed a dodgy starter.

So all has gone well today up until I tried to fix the rear light covers on and realised a schoolboy error....... I've wired the lights in upside down. 1st job of the morning to sort that out!

Skipidy doo da to no. 647:

http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jasonbye/gallery-show/G0000zDlxZgatq7A?_bqO=625&ppg=25&_bqH=eJzLN3RKNQoKMEr0CXI3Mk_N9CwvKQ2qLC5KKXa0MjMzszIytbJyj_d0sXU3AIIql5yKqPTEkkJzRzV3z3h3Rx8f16BIbNIAuccbOw--" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Got the curtains and the top locker in. Schulz'd the underside, and hung the bumpers on, although we failed to get the rear rubber trim on. It's going to need a couple of hours in the sunshine to help it stretch that last 1/4 inch.

Loaded up all of the bags of screws and trim left over and trundled off to my garage to pick up the interior. Came back and realised we'd taken the interior fixings back with the bits. By now it was 10pm so decided to call it a day and go for a pint.

Started at 7am on Sunday. Luckily my wife came out with coffee and cleaned the floor in her pyjamas (nutter) Banged the interior back in, loaded up and headed for a couple of days on the coast.

A few electrical gremlins have come to light: The door switches for the interior light isn't working and the regulator is playing up. Guess this is what happens when you disturb 37 year old electrics.

Still got a bit to do, a couple seals to go in and the doors need re-adjusting. The body has still to be flattened and polished.

Will it ever actually be finished?

Drift over to no.667 for the latest.

http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jasonbye/gallery-show/G0000zDlxZgatq7A?_bqO=650&ppg=50&_bqH=eJwrcYwPd0zzyS42Dy1yza_wjywPtCzPNiw1yMq3MrO0tDI1sLJyj_d0sXU3AIIql5yKqPTEkkJzRzV3z3h3Rx8f16BIbNIA4NobpA--" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts