Which dizzy for Solex 34pict3

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john matthews

Reaction score
Hi folks, just splashed out on a volksbitz rebuilt german Solex 34pict3 to replace my leaky (nearly new!) Bocar 34/3.

Awaiting delivery in a few days.

Also I wasn't convinced by the vacuum from the bocar.

I recently replaced my 009 with a cheap svda from powerspark which is much better than the 009 but I'm still not sure it's working to its best.

She now runs rich since the dizzy swap, judging by the plugs after a 1k run to glasto and back. I suspect she might have been set up rich because of the 009 flat spot ?

Ideally I'd like a genuine rebuilt bosch dizzy if I can find one, any clues where to look ?

and which dizzy ? For a 1969 old volkshome says :

Distributor: VW 113-905-205T, Bosch 0231 137 035 or 036
Can Use: VW 113-905-205M, Bosch 0231 137 021

http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ignition.htm#B6970" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but would that have been 34pict3 or something earlier ?

Do I now have the facility to run a dvda and should I ?

I've seen a few people say 034 dizzy too.

then there's the aircooled.net modified mexican svda if they had any in stock

decisions decisions !

I'm running a 1641 dual port, single carb in a 69 bay

Help !?

The only Bus (in the USA) that came with the dual port was a 1971 (Europe is a little different). The correct distributor is a 211905205Q. That distributor was engineered for the 34pict and Bus application. The aircooled.net SVDA is, and had been for a while, out of stock. The carb you bought probably has the ports for the DVDA. You won't know maybe until you get it. But then again, the jetting is probably not right for a Bus either.
I have a '71 Bus and have ran the 009 then the aircooled.net SVDA and recently I found a 211905205Q and I am running it right now. I had it rebuilt by a member on thesamba. My jetting is close to that of the factory Bus 34pict. I am currently looking for the correct 60z air correction jet for my 34pict. After I finally find it, my carb will be a "Bus" carb again.
Out of all the distributors I've used, the 205Q, in my opinion, runs the best. The SVDA is a close second. The 009 is no where near good enough.
I know Europe had the upright engine for many years after 1971. You might be able to find a stock distributor from one of these years and try it. Besides, A Bus distributor was made for a Bus. Find a Bus distributor.

Thanks for the advice

how will I know a 'bus' dizzy from another ?

She is a European bus, engine not original though

strictly speaking I don't know for sure I have a dual port, just know it looks like this :

First off, yes it is a dual port or twin port.
Secondly, where do you have the distributor vacuum hose connected on the carb? It should be connected to a port on the left side above the bypass screw (large screw above the cutoff valve). It doesn't look like there is a vacuum port there. That may be a reason it is not running right. It looks like you have the 2 ports on the front. The upper one is for the rear of the DVDA vacuum can and the other by the carb flange should be capped off.
What do you have the hose on the intake, below the carb, plugged into?
And judging by the look of your distributor, it looks like your drive gear is about 45* clockwise out of rotation. It won't hurt anything though.
You can maybe find a list of distributors online, like oldvolkshome, for the European Bus distributor.

There's a port on the side of the carb below and to the left of the idle speed adjuster, the vacuum advance is attached to that.

I was surprised that the gear drive turned my dizzy round a quarter turn relative to the old 009 too. Can't see how I'd change that though ?

It's got two offcentre pegs rather than a gear.

The front ports on the carb are blanked off.

A Solex 34/3 is on its way from Volksbitz to replace the leaky Bocar.

I've been thinking about one of these to go with it perhaps ?

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24-043-905-205-ZB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

C24-043-905-205-ZB

Not sure if this is the right port for the vacuum advance

if it's not what might it be and why don't I have one top right like everyone else !?

maybe I do, and it would explain a lot ;)

That looks like it is where the carb drain bolt is supposed to go. Is that an active vacuum port? That looks strange. I bet is isn't.
The correct port is in the picture but doesn't have the brass tube in it. Right above the big bypass screw.
You should wait until you get your new Solex, it will have the proper port. Then tune and time them together.
Is the powerspark an 034 variation? I'm not familiar with powerspark.
You could contact Tim Barany. His user name on thesamba is tasb. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3066. He rebuilt my German Bosch 205Q for me and I'm very happy with it. He could probably help you decide and find a Bus distributor for you if you can't get your distributor to work right.
But I think with your new carb and your distributor hooked up correctly, your engine will run alot better.

Your distributor drive gear is inside your engine. It is turned by a gear that is on the crankshaft. The 2 pegs on the distributor drive dog insert in the 2 slots on top of the drive gear. If you have the distributor out, look into the hole. That is the top of the drive gear. There should also be a spring in there.
To extract the gear, you would need the drive gear puller. But it won't hurt anything being like that. Just make sure you have the firing order correct in relation to the number 1 cylinder and your good.

Thanks a lot

I have spoken to someone called Tim recently, wonder if it was your man there.

Latest plan is to get the Solex on, connect up and time the current dizzy.

Meanwhile I've bought a Bosch 0231 170 034 core and sending it to H&H in Birmingham UK to be rebuilt.

Now trying to work out what's in the hole where the brass vacuum port once was .....

no wonder there was no vacuum from that drain plug, surprised by vacuum diaphragm isn't full of petrol actually.

Strange how when I uncapped the drain plug no petrol came out ?

http://www.simonbbc.com/distributors/4cyl-standard-electronic/electronic-distributor-powerspark-svda-bosch-vw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this is the unit I'm currently using, suspiciously cheap !?

When you take the hose off, does it leak fuel out? That is mind boggling that someone would replace the drain bolt with that contraption.
Volksbitz's real name is Tim.
I'm willing to bet your engine will run 10x's better with your new carb and that distributor hooked up correctly.
But you can't go wrong with a rebuilt German distributor.
Good luck.

Thanks so much,

feel like I'm getting somewhere with this and optimistic she'll run as she should with Volkbitz carb and vacuum working

really appreciate it

john matthews said:
http://www.simonbbc.com/distributors/4cyl-standard-electronic/electronic-distributor-powerspark-svda-bosch-vw

this is the unit I'm currently using, suspiciously cheap !?

John

I'm running one of those distributors with a standard 34pic, runs nice.

Jack.

Hi, yes it's definitely better than the 009 I had before.

Anyone had any dealings with H&H in Birmingham ?

Latest posts