1/4 light window seals

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

le catweasel

Reaction score
Iv finally got round to starting changing the seals in our bus. After doing a search im struggling to work out the best way of changing the seals in the rear opening 1/4s?

I know the 3/4 has to come out first but thats as far as i can get with it

Any help appreciated :)

Also: whats the best lube to get them back in?

to get them out the bus, inside at the front edge (under the rubber) there are 2 tabs (top and bottom along the front edge where the frame meets the bus (vertical) bend them back a bit to release their grab on the bus, then lever the lot towards the back of the bus (having already removed the 3/4 glass) it will slide back about an inch and you will be able to unhook them at the top back vertical of the 1/4 frame. the lot can then be lifted out.

to replace the seals, drill out the 2 rivets top and bottom on the side of the frame that you just unhooked (on the side where the 3/4 seal goes onto the 1/4 frame. then undo the screw/retainer from the bottom pivot of the 1/4 glass (bottom of the frame) and take out the glass/frame assembly from the main frame. (it sort of slides one way about 15mm once the retainer is removed and then un hooks.

remove the haggard old seal, (rust treat and hammerite etc as required) fit the new one as per the old one. then glass/frame pivoting assembly back in. slide it into place at the bottom and re fit the retainer clip and screw. pop rivet the side of the 1/4 frame back in place, faff about squezzing that section of the seal into the channel on that piece. re fit to the bus by hooking the bottom back in first, then push the back top into the gap in the bus appeture, slide forwards while pushing it in at the front edge to re-locate the front vertical tabs. bend them back into place to hold the front edge, then its time to put the 3/4 glass back it.

i recomend... arbomast butyl rubber sealent around all apetures prior to fitting as this helps to prevent leaks, also on the non opening bits of glass, i arbomasted the seal onto the glass aswel for belt and braces. use a lubricant i.e autoglym vinyl and rubbercare to help slide the seal over the bus frame, and to get the seal into the vertical channel on the 1/4 light frame

hope this helps, i did it last weekend and it is a complete B@$tard in every way, really awkward but do able on your own with much cussing. the refurb bit is fine its the refitting that is a load of old pony

sam

Brilliant dude thanks for that its made things a lot clearer!

Definitely a job for 2 of us though i think :lol:

Hi Sam, what rubbers did you use? I went through all the agro using I think West Coast classic rubbers (apparently only two companies actually make them) but I just couldnt get the qrtrs to close, the rubbers seemed way too big. After much frustration, time wasting and cursing I bailed and fitted full length fixed glass in about 5 minutes.

Latest posts