1641 and Dellorto Carbs

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredamens

Reaction score
I am finally upgrading my engine and carbs to 1641 and twin carbs - hopefully Dellorto.

I have been looking on VW Heritage for the barrels/pistons/gasket set and rod tubes (don't need head) and the prices seem reasonable. I am was thinking of going for the mahle 87mm forged barrel & piston kit @ £255.40. What are everyone thoughts on the price and type of barrel & piston?

I don't want to skimp on carb set up either and I am looking at the Dellorto site. However the Type 1 Twin DRLA36 kit - CSP/Dellorto NOS kit is coming in at £882 delivered. See below.

◾1 Pair of reconditioned (RECON) or new old stock (NOS) Dellorto DRLA36 carburettors - re-jetted to suit your engine size.
◾1 pair of CSP Type 1 manifolds- bored to 40mm, not over size like most manifolds.
◾1 CSP Bellcrank linkage kit.
◾1 Pair of 83mm oval filters.

This is not the most expensive kit with the other one coming in at +1k, difference being K&N filters/hex linkage.

Is there a cheaper way without skimping too much on quality - other manufactures
Any advice on what other people have done including cost would be appreciated. Also an idea of the actual improvement to the speed, torque and MPG.

Thanks Fred

I guess it all depends on what you want from the engine and any future plans you have.
36 dells are a great carb and can be used with future upgrades if wanted.
I went Hex bar linkage and k&ns, but you can find he filters on eBay from time to time.
Buying from Eurocarb (dellorto) gets you a guarantee, which you may not get with second hand buys on forums and eBay.. Although there is a guy selling 36drlas from alphas.
Have you worked out your jets yet? Get the dellorto book, really useful for VW applications.

Mahle B&P sets were considered better in the past but this may have changed, I'll leave that to someone else to answer.

Power wise, probably not a lot, you are not changing the cam or adding significant displacement, but it will pickup a lot better due to the better flow through carbs.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

I have a pair of Weber 36 IDF's complete with maifolds, air filters, linkage, electric fuel pump and fuel regulator for sale. I have just taken them off my Ghia. If interested send me a PM and will give you contact info
Robert

Jon

Appreciated.

I'm assuming I need them jetted to a 1641.

I want to buy once and buy good. Just wondering if there are other carb set up that are suitable/cheaper for the occasional driver. I use the bus for trips away and at weekends for local trips.

It seems from what you are saying I could be spending +1k for engine and carbs with no real difference to speed but more torque. what are your thoughts on MPG?

Any help welcome.

I'd use the AA B&P's they are much cheaper and still good bits of kit and use the money saved to spend on the carbs.

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Barrel-Piston-kit-1641cc-87mmx69mm-Repro-AC198870R_act_shop.product_pID_19649725.htm?crumbStartPage=2&crumbStartRow=17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How much HP/Torque/Mileage? well my setup is similar except for the IDF's & w110 cam I have ;)
Power is good update over stock carb/dual singles(no need to down shift as often such as hills/passing ;)
According to my 'Butt Dyno' slite increase in torque
I'm getting better mileage anywhere from 19-24Mpg depends on Headwind/loaded or empty/50-65 speeds/My right foot :lol:
IDF type carbs run mostly on the idle circuits until pass 1/4 throttle ;)
You will need a Header too!!!
What goes in MUST come OUT ;) :lol:

madmike said:
.......You will need a Header too!!!
What goes in MUST come OUT ;) :lol:

What he says. Just adding B+P and carbs won't make a great deal of difference on their own. Adding a free flowing header and silencer will make the best of the Dells. Whilst you are at it, you might like to add a 110 cam or similar and a set of bolt up 1.25:1 rockers too, the spring clips don't like revving too hard and the cam and 1.25:1 rockers help the breathing a bit more and help to extract a bit more oomph.

I've got that set up, bought it all individually

Mahle b&p's , engle 110 cam , 1:25 ratio rockers bolt up,36 dells ,
New oil pump and a vs exhaust on its way

I would advise you to get it all at once regarding your carbs , manifolds etc, so they are all jetted to suit your engine set up, I bought mine off ebay and bought jets, gaskets etc etc off euro carb plus the hassle of having to strip the carbs and them rebuild it

power etc , dont know ! Not driven it yet

pics are here page 4 onwards

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35239&start=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i'm similarish too, 1600 with refurb 40's drla's from eurocarb, scat c25 cam, ported heads by GAC, illuminition ignition in a 009 and a 4into1 stainless exhaust from jsutkampers

the refurb carbs fom euroscarb have been spot on, jetted pretty much right

got 28mpg back from devon today fully loaded but only following lorries mostly so 50-57mph

in terms of more power, i have quite a bit more than previous setups, when the cam comes on song about 2500 rpm it gives real good power all the way to 5500rpm with plenty of go. i still only cruise around 55 anyway as the oil temp tends to get hot at much over 60

i'd stay 1600 as i dont reckon the 1641 makes much difference and save the cash for a rolling road tune up (which you'll need for setting up unless you have an expert carb dialler handy!) some mild head porting which will really make the engine breath better and match up with the carbs.

take it you already have doghouse cooler otherwise think about upgrading to that too..

We run a heritage 1641 engel cam and 36 dells on our bus combined with a vintage speed exhaust, bus has plenty of pull even when loaded and will maintain speed uphill mostly so I personally think it's a good set up.

My carbs came from alfa1750 on eBay who is well respected and gets them correctly jetted for you, mine where jetted for a 1600 and had to play with jets a bit to get it right but eurocarb were very helpful and I ended up buying new mains, idles and emulsion tubes from memory.

I' d definitely go with the csp style linkage rather than the hex bar as I think it gives better adjustment. Make sure you fit a Buttys bits throttle linkage to get the best out of them as well :mrgreen:

Latest posts