17" Alloy fitment to 1971 Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bay-low71

Reaction score
My bus is USA spec so early bumpers and rear lights. However has the wider rear wheel arches of late bays and servo assisted disc brakes up front. Recently, exchanged the front beam for a cut and welded version and fitted Spax adjustable shocks, the rear has also been dropped 1 spline. I really want to fit 17" Mercedes spuds to my bus, the stud pattern is spot on however i am unsure on whether the size of the wheels will cause any problems, travel, rubbing....etc.. can anyone help...Thanks

Hiya

im running 17x 7.5, et36 no spacers and they fit perfect. My good friend Chris7ian is a good sorce of info... he pointed me the right way!
the rims dont rub and there seems to be more clearence on the back.
one thing to keep in mind is aim for an ET of 35 to 37 and watch the center bore. you need 66mm ish to clear the hubnut and front bearing cover.
tyres are 215/45/17 but i could run 245s on the back
also you will need to remove the 10 bolt on the rear drums.
hope that helps
C
mabus.jpg

Hello Bay Low glad ypu made it over here hope you get all the help you need . get some pics of the van up dude 8)

I'm running 17's with 255/45/17s, no rubbing runs fine.

Van is lowered.

mybus8.jpg

Mybus2.jpg

Also PaulG is running similar wheels, see gallery.

If you have discs on the front (like mine) the studs from the front are longer than the rears. You can buy new front studs and they will press straight into the rear hubs and the job is done.
You have to remove the little 10mm nut that secures the drum on as well. The drum is kept in place when the wheel is on anyway.

The front is a little more involved.
I used some studs on the front that were not VW, at the base, they are slightly wider than the 14mm VW stud and I had to remove the hub and get the holes drilled out to fit. Only a very minor amount but my engineer mate was not going to allow me to press the stud into an undersized hole. It would eventually explode with dire consequences.
Someone I heard of recently has used Toyota Land Cruiser studs, which may be a direct swap which might be worth investigating.
This pic is the before and after. I used a different set of hubs, just in case it all ended in tears, I could go back to stock and still be able to drive!
wheelstudmod014.jpg

This is the front wheel with the stockie 14mm VW stud. Not enough meat there
wheelstudmod001.jpg

This is the after pic of my front wheel fitted, plenty of stud protruding makes you feel a lot safer when you are hammering it around the bends.
wheelstudmod011.jpg

The finished product. i manged to get some centre caps and ground them down to fit. The "chrome" caps on the rear studs are off the Holden Monaro 19mm and they push on. They don't fit over the front nuts as they are 21mm. I will have to keep searching to find something to fit there. I am in the process at the moment of getting custom made nuts to fit but I'm yet to get a price for them. This pic isn't very clear in the wheel view. I am out on a cruise tomorrow so i will take a more detailed pic or two then.
shiny1.jpg

Latest posts