1776 with standard 1600tp carb etc

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robjarman

Reaction score
hi - have done a search but did not find any answers to this question: is it ok to run a 1776 long block with stock 1600tp ancillaries - Solex 34 Pict 3, vac dizzy, heat exchangers - going to adapt exhaust using beetle stock with twin bus tailpipes - doing this cos cannot afford full twin carb etc setup - will I get any performance improvement over stock 1600? the bus is a stock 72 crossover - I need a new engine, so it's a question of new 1600tp or new 1776 to get a bit more grunt - looking at airspeeduk long blocks - ok?

any advice would be most helpful
cheers, Rob

oh yes - also meant to ask about oil - my current 1600 has full flow oil filter but not cooler - airspeeduk say their 1776 is full flow and needs oil cooler as well as filter - but if I fit a 1776 but underpowered with a 34pict3 carb then would a cooler still be needed??

cheers, Rob

Yes it can be done.... But the carb will need re-jetting.... Done correctly, you will see an improvement is low end torque and a little stronger in the mid range.

As for the accessory oil cooler.... You shouldn't need one right away.... If you driving around town and in traffic you should be fine.... If you plan on long trips at high speed, then maybe it will be a good idea.... But you prolly wont.

I live in one of the hottest parts of the world and I have never found the need to run an accessory oil cooler on any performance engine I have built.... Granted.... Our highway speeds are not as high as yours in the UK, but I have driven a few high powered VW across Australia with no over heating issues.... My bus has a very mild 1600 blow-through turbo engine.... No heat issues there at all.... It just has late model tin and a doghouse cooler.... My 1776 draw-through turbo street bug has the exact same set-up.... My brothers 1915cc twin Dellorto'ed 23 window Barndoor is the same...... Need I go on?

Keep the compression below 8.5-1, run the best fuel you can (I use Caltex 98).... Fit the oil cooler later if you feel the need.

yep pretty much no need to run an oil cooler on any standard or mild street engine in the UK. If you have over heating issues it will likely be some problem with the engine.

that's really helpful, many thanks - confirms it then - it's 1776 upgrade with my 1600 bits - there was a thread on the Samba a while back where someone in the US said a good solid bus option was 1776 with single port heads - would that be your advice?

and now the killer question - who makes a good no frills 1776 long block?!!

cheers
Rob

Humpty said:
I live in one of the hottest parts of the world and I have never found the need to run an accessory oil cooler on any performance engine I have built.... Granted.... Our highway speeds are not as high as yours in the UK, but I have driven a few high powered VW across Australia with no over heating issues.... My bus has a very mild 1600 blow-through turbo engine.... No heat issues there at all.... It just has late model tin and a doghouse cooler.... My 1776 draw-through turbo street bug has the exact same set-up.... My brothers 1915cc twin Dellorto'ed 23 window Barndoor is the same...... Need I go on?

Keep the compression below 8.5-1, run the best fuel you can (I use Caltex 98)....

I agree. I suspect heres a lot of unnecessary oil coolers fitted. Couple of years ago tested a 2.1 T1 in a bay with just stock cooling. 4 hours on the motorway in southern Spain at 80 mph. Oil temp never went above 110 C.

If the engine is running too hot then fitting an extra oil cooler could be treating the symptom rather than the cause IMO.

Latest posts