Carbs or capacity?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pellwood

Reaction score
Ok, I appreciate this is a bit of a can of worms/ how long is a piece of string/what engine oil type question, but I'm gonna ask anyway :oops:

Which is the better upgrade, carbs or engine capacity?

I'm currently running a twin port 1600 engine with an oil bath filter and a pict 34 solex carb, only upgrade has been an electronic ignition SVDA dizzy.

I'm not looking to go drag racing, just a bit more pulling power for those Devon hills.

Just interested in what you guys are running and the reasons you upgraded. Plus any advice.
Thx in advance

Well I started out with a 1600 twin port with twin ict's, electronic ignition and a decent bluebird exhaust and I still struggled up the hills. I sold it, and put my money into a 1776 with twin dells and I now fly up the hills in comparison. I was going to go 2010cc but in the end decided I didn't trust myself not to use the power that would be available, had to remind myself its a family camper lol. Remember to think about brakes in the equation and if your going above 1776 a gearbox too :)

I do kinda of wish I spent another 1k and got the bigger engine, but I'm happy for now.

Put a set of twin 40's on it and a decent 4 into 1 exhaust and that will liven it up no end and increase torque too. As Sparky said though if you really want a lot torque youll need a stroker built around that requirement.

seconded K@rlos

i got an extra 20+ hp switching from standard set up to twin carbs and a vintage speed exhaust on an older 1600 VEGE engine; running it with a 123 ignition and 6 rib box; all set up by James Wotton at VeeDub which is a real plus

it flies along now, cruise all day at 60-70 and takes hills in its stride

Get a decent set of carbs and exhaust fitted and you will notice a big difference. If you decide further down the line you want a bigger engine then you'll have the carbs ready to go (after rejetting them). Spread the cost a bit.

If cost isn't an issue then yeah, get a big engine built! :D

thanks for your wise words, I think its gonna be carbs and a 4 into 1 or vintage speed then take it from there. Now its just which carbs to choose, but I can leave that for another thread

Sparkywig - I think a stroker would be my ultimate goal, perhaps I can have a butchers at yours if we bumb into each other at one of the shows this summer

Cheers guys

Get a brand new set of Weber 40's from Eurocarb jetted to the engine and a 4 into 1 NOT a Vintage speed as they are restrictive as hell.

Latest posts