1968 Clutch Cross Shaft Issues

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yomatoot

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an early 68 bus and am having problems with bearing noise. A couple of years ago the shaft went into the clutch and broke off the ends due to bad adjustment. A replacement Heavy Duty EMPI one from VW Heritage came( AC141503512) and I fitted that but it threw the bearing out after a couple of days it was way out and not centre. I was forced put on the cheaper Brazilian 002141701 one on and it was ok but I have experience bearing noise again. A month ago I changed the release bearing again but it has now gone again and I can bearly get any gears in at all. The noise starts as you depress the clutch so I think it's a concentricity issue and not the bearing as the one I took out felt fine.

All I can see at Just Kampers, VW Heritage Cool Air etc. is the cheap ones or the EMPI ones. does anyone know where I could buy an original from or what other vehicles have the same clutch cross shaft as mine the Gearbox Code is CO08 0098?

My friend at work has a couple of Beetle gearboxes. I am now stuck at work:(

Please Help

Gaz with the 68 Dormy (white at the front purple at the back:) and the Husky

I would take the engine out and carefully inspect the cross shaft for distortion, it sounds like something is bent. Even the cheap release bearings should last years unless your running a stage 2 pressure plate!

I agree I think the cheap repro part has bent, I'm at work at the moment and may be able to pull it out on saturday. I am stuck here then though:( I could do with an original again. Thanks.

Is the shaft nylon bush correctly fitted, the hole in the bush and sleeve must line up with the retaining bolt, otherwise you can get excessive sideways shaft movement.
Beetle shafts are smaller.

Latest posts