1969 RHD Devon - I must be mad

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[emoji600] Boring parts police...For the ever paranoid like myself, wheel bolt antiloosen/tightness indicators just arrived like they have on big trucks [emoji23]

From VWJim hide nicely behind hubcap so can give a quick visual check when out on road etc.

4862ee08cf5b5532a02f23c537b1893e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This looks like a great idea, especially for peeps that have recently painted or powder coated their wheels because they hate rubbing the coating off where the nuts / bolts contact the wheel.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,gotta get some :mrgreen:

Suns out new madmatz cab matts kind of day [emoji2].

Might even finally get round to wiring up the Porsche seats as well after 4years of being fitted [emoji23]

31aa8fbe1c69dc23db6db31f7d78f562.jpg

Nice. I've just put my first order in to Madmatz, some underlay and new floor vinyl, and of course they do loads of little things you discover you want when browsing their site. A £50 order quickly becomes £150 and more.

I bought some underlay of them a few years ago and found the black rubber backing would disintegrate leaving a black debris under the mat. I took it out and just have a rubber cab mat now. If it’s been wet on a journey I lift each side to check for water ingress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for comments matts are great fit and quality highly recommend. Although before pride /showing off about matts always comes a fall [emoji2357].

Lost all electrics and engine stopped randomly whilst driving on a small test run today (trying to do a few before more adventurous trips over the summer).

I think as no electric getting to fuse box, plus put a new loom in a couple of years ago, 95% sure it’s a dodgy ignition switch can’t think what else would cause engine to stop and all electrics to suddenly go like that [emoji2368]. Literally all lights gone hazard etc, in the blackwall tunnel as well [emoji51][emoji15].

Thank god had a grab bag with foldable road cones and emergency flashing lights and hi vis etc but the car behind def pooed their pants a bit I think.

Nice trip home on the big yellow bus.

bca70413dc41b121ae395424778df188.jpg

What a bummer!
I am not sure if the ignition switch has anything to do with the main lights, as they come on even when the ignition is off. I'd have to take a look at the wiring diagram though.

Did you install the loom? I had a total electrical failure, fortunately in my garage [emoji23] after having a new loom installed. It turned out to be the master fuse behind the kick panel. I could see it arcing.

The fuse was intact but too much heat shrink tube was preventing proper contact between the main lead and the fuse post it was bolted to. Quick scrape of the plastic and all systems go again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

No had an auto electrician do it, kind of wish I’d braved it myself now. Will check that and the headlight switch thanks and trace the main wires too and from batt starter solenoid otherwise it’s back to the drawing board.

I had a similar experience some years back when the positive lead from battery to starter came out of the battery clamp. Fortunately, an easy fix by the side of the road, although it chose to happen on a particularly treacherous stretch.

I’ve since changed the wiring routing such that alternator goes to the starter, and then back to the battery. At least if the connection fails again, the alternator will still be supplying current to the vehicle electrics. It’s not a recommended way to run a vehicle (I.e. with no battery connected) but at least would get me to some form of safety.

Thanks for comments all were very helpful. Found the blighter! As you said mike202 was the master fuse loose behind the kick panel, as is a rapidfit loom has a connector and a master fuse there. One tweak with a spanner and some wd40 and all normal again [emoji2357].

tmcg said:
Thanks for comments all were very helpful. Found the blighter! As you said mike202 was the master fuse loose behind the kick panel, as is a rapidfit loom has a connector and a master fuse there. One tweak with a spanner and some wd40 and all normal again [emoji2357].

Glad you got it sorted[emoji3]
I didn’t realise there was one at first on mine, from Aircooled autoelectric. I’m glad I had a new loom fitted though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Bus has been neglected as new baby has taken over! How are we going to fit two car seats in the back 🤔😬.

Finding some snippets of time. After driving to mot across London in the heatwave (to Terrys beetles where they have one of the Porsche engined Herbies from original film to ogle over) decided to add some ambulance fans to see if that helps move air/maybe fix up some kind of piping for the dog in the back.

Building the Lego version of the bus to make up for not tinkering outside in the rain getting covered in oil. Always impressed at the detail/accuracy of these.

5EB7DC63-0EC3-4ECD-8615-E7704BD48DC9.jpeg
EC83FBA2-428C-4F35-B3E7-BCD2BD458B09.jpeg

Just read threw ya thread mate. Nice work. Nothing on these busses is a 5 minute job.. But you got there. I'm restoring a 72 deluxe at the mo. So I know what's involved. By the way what colours did you go for.. Brilliant blue by any chance??.

Latest posts