1970 baywindow clutch cable confusion

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

type2man

Reaction score
Hi all

1970 LHD WESTY CLUTCH CABLE ???

I've got a problem last year my clutch cable snapped in Germany which was an original cable, since then I have been unable to find a cable that fits.
I have bought several but all seem to be different, the code is 211-721-335/E. Just kampers say it's 3190mm long, heritage say it's 3165mm long, American sites say it's 3200mm long and other sites 3195mm long, confused.com really read everywhere what should the cable be.

Any info would greatly be appreciated to clarify.

type2man said:
Hi all

1970 LHD WESTY CLUTCH CABLE ???

I've got a problem last year my clutch cable snapped in Germany which was an original cable, since then I have been unable to find a cable that fits.
I have bought several but all seem to be different, the code is 211-721-335/E. Just kampers say it's 3190mm long, heritage say it's 3165mm long, American sites say it's 3200mm long and other sites 3195mm long, confused.com really read everywhere what should the cable be.

Any info would greatly be appreciated to clarify.

I know on my '71 US import, it had what looked like an early front connection to the pedal and a later end to the clutch arm. I think I used a different pin (later) at the pedal if I remember rightly. Not sure about the lengths though. I guess slightly longer would be better though

Im on the hunt for one myself, was going to use JK.....this not recommeneded then?

--------------------------------------Own a Bay?....... Feel the love!

I had the same issue when searching for one for my 68. In the end I went for th 3200 anything less would have been a stretch. Original thread here: http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=52002&p=435965&hilit=clutch+cable#p435965" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well Vw heritage and Alan schofields do not work, just kampers says it's 3190 long so I've tried them, it's annoyed me really. My time money and effort wasted, I've had a lot of stuff that's shit and not for purpose. I try to use made in Germany or USA stuff. Stay away from German quality. That's that china crap made by a 5 year old.
Suppliers don't get the difference yet from quantity and quality.
I will let you know how the jk one goes.

If it doesn't work then this is the one I had from Machine7 last year: http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=12525&xSec=368" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

67westy said:
If it doesn't work then this is the one I had from Machine7 last year: http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=12525&xSec=368" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yep thats what I fit and never had a problem, you do have to pull the arm back to get it to connect and I'm not sure 10mm should make that much difference as with a new clutch fitted I normally have to wind the adjuster on at least 10mm to take up the slack and adjust the clutch, without being funny are you routing the cable correctly at the front?

Hi I checked and double checked and got a gemo clutch cable. Fitted first time no problems. 3190mm was perfect but like everyone says 3200mm is proper, I will get one in for spares.

Thanks again

Just kampers stock them

Been looking into this further and ours do fit and I know as its what am running on my van. Looked back through our system history and its what I purchased.

We have sold literally hundreds of these, ours are Fania, so anyone that gets fania they will be the same as we sell.

We are still hassling Fania and they should be coming in at 3200mm on the next batch. (although I'll believe it when I see it).

I had an issue with the cable......tried all of em and none were long enough ('70 RHD) so i had an extra piece made up to increase the overall length.....job done.

maddog said:
I had an issue with the cable......tried all of em and none were long enough ('70 RHD) so i had an extra piece made up to increase the overall length.....job done.

Nice solution :D

vwed said:
The Bible i.e. VW's own parts book lists it at 3200 mm.

Yep that's the correct size but everyone sells different lengths, trying to save 1 pence per cable proberbly lol

Latest posts