• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1970 Dormobile for sale now sold....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micaz

Reaction score
Sold sold sold sold sold...sorry peeps...Sold sold sold
ORIGINAL UK REGISTERED RIGHT HAND DRIVE 1970 VW DORMOBILE £8250no less thanks.

This bus has only 5 previous owner from 1970 and has been garaged or covered undera breatheable cover.
Current MOT till May 2015. Last MOT required "continuous welding to a front chassis leg. It actually didnt as the inspector mistook the waxoyl protection for a missing weld joint.

The front panel has a dent in it down by the RHS indicator as some kind person has reversed into it. I am allowing the price to reflect the replacement of the front panel and A post work to remove scabs each side of the upright part of the screen.
There are some scabs surrounding the screen A posts and some scabs to the lower 6 inches along the drivers side whcih need chopping out and replacing.
The off side rear battery tray needs replacing.
Above the rear near side arch a bit of new panel like a letter box has been let in about 2 years ago..this wasnt welding in via a continuous seam weld, just spot welded which is OK provided there would have been complete weather proofing applied to the inside of the rear wheel arch. Sadly this didnt happen and so wet has got behind the new section of steel and pushed the thin filler out.

This crack in the paint requires removing the filler, sorting the weld inside the arch and repainting the panel when the work is done. I have a quote of £200 to sort it out, provided the red paint is in the gun for the front end.

The rest of the outriggers, floor pans, chassis rails and general underside is really solid. Recent MOT welding done to a high standard from a reputable local professional vehicle welding company with a large business premesis nearby. It didnt even need welding as the welder found when he took the wax protection off- dammit..but heyho its done anyway.
It has been repainted by the previous owner after some extensive preservation work being carried out.

Each year I replace all the fluids and oils and no more than 3 or 4k annually in it. I have all the receipts for about £13-15k spent on it in the last 4 years.
It has a NEW engine, not a refurb or recon and has done about 4k miles since.
All engine ancilliaries have been replaced including a £700 (garage fitted- not self) altenator conversion so it charges two batteries, leisure and starting via a new split charging system.
It starts on the button every time, and returns pretty good fuel economy as its fully eletronic ignition, and has been tuned for good mpg.
We dont go over 50mph in it anywhere.

It has new lights to front and rear, wiring done, new indicator stalk, new steering wheel, mad matz hessian carpets up front and a new marine ply underfloor, and vinyl floor in the rear.
Under the floor is fresh white paint and not a single bit of rust, front or rear.
I have gone thru ALL the brakes, refreshed or replaced the brakes, cylinders, lines, drum backing plates and shoes. and rebuilt the CV joints at the rear.

The steering wheel is rose wood rimmed on shiney slotted aluminium on a solid aluminium billet boss. This alone about £300.
It has a new Waco 3 way fridge which works on gas, 12 whilst running and mains on site if you wish. .

There is a complete new Bosch 009 eletronic distributor a brand new fuel pump and therefore it looks very good and runs like a swiss watch all the time.
I have also replaced loads of seals including doors and most window seals and the wheels have been recently enammelled.
All the interior door and kick and rear panels are made by me in lightweight ply and varnished with about 5 coats of varnish.

I have had all electrics sorted by a mobile vehicle electrician

Under the bus is eat your dinner off it time. Everywhere. Nothing to worry about, no gremlins hidden by waxoly, scrape it off if you like....its all tip top.
New suspension ball joints up front, steering ball joints done.
The vehicle is obviously tax free.
As you can see a lot of money and hard work, time and money has gone into this Bus...but sadly it needs some body work and I have run out of money to do that.

Interior wise, there are two bunk beds in the dormobile roof, one of which is in my garage as over the weekend kitchen unit I have removed the bunk. Only my wife and I use the bus so we didnt ever need the bunks.

The red and white rock and roll bed is new foam and new last year covers.
The pop top canvas is orginal with patina all over it. It doesn't leak.

The rear headliner is ply and looks good.
I have a file about a foot thick of all the bills sort of filed chronologically and in plastic wallets. Theres well over £10000 worth of invoices mostly in the last 3 or 4 years..

I have just changed the oil and alternator belt this weekend.

I have photos on photo bucket below showing the van at the weekend of the 17th and 18th November and of the resto work 2 to 3 years ago where new metal let in, with preservation in mind, not entire panel replacement with thin crap.
http://s291.photobucket.com/user/bonkerzmate/library/Dormobile 111114?sort=3&page=1

The photo of the blue van having tons of work on it is actually this van in the body shop and I have all the receipts for this work done 2=3 years ago.
The works ranged from letting in sections of lower window frames to the sides and windscreen, gutter channel sections, wheel arch sections, lower 6 inches to the nearside or left hand side.

Cash on collection No cheques and nothing else will be considered other than what I have requested please.

Viewing any time by arrangement at home just outside of Bath or In Bristol where I work.

Please contact Mike on 07702158974 to chat...

Latest posts