• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1970 Single Cab Pick Up £5495

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbobmurray

Reaction score
This is my 1970 early bay single cab pick up in Neptune Blue. It's a LHD model originally imported from Sweden by a previous owner, UK registered since Jan 2000.

P1.jpg

P2.jpg

P5.jpg

Locker door and engine lid seals have now been fitted.

P12.jpg

P4.jpg

Owned for 7 years i completed a much needed 4 year partial restoration this summer, with a view to retaining as much original metal and paint as possible. Genuine panels were used where available and reproduction where not.

New metal replaced as follows:

-o/s & n/s inner sills (GEN)
-o/s & n/s middle sills (GEN)
-o/s outer sill, under locker door (GEN)
-o/s rear outer sill (REPRO)
-n/s outer long sill, B-post to rear arch (REPRO)
-o/s & n/s locker floor sections (GEN, welded and bonded to floor support beams)
-o/s & n/s outer lower B-post repair (REPRO)
-o/s & n/s inner B-post repair sections (FABRICATED)
-Front & Rear pick up load floor plates (GEN, these are splitscreen and shorter hence the 4" strip in between, bonded and welded to floor support beams)
-o/s & n/s front combined jacking point/outrigger and floor support section above (GEN)
-o/s rear jacking point & floor support section above (REPRO)
-Rear of front inner wheel arch repairs (FABRICATED)
-small repair patch under drivers seat

IM000893Small.jpg

IM000152Small.jpg

IM000365.jpg

IM000697.jpg

IM000585.jpg

28.jpg

IM000569.jpg

DSC00409.jpg

DSC00414.jpg

DSC00523.jpg

84.jpg

Chassis has been undersealed.
P11.jpg

079.jpg

Locker and petrol tank area was sprayed with red oxide primer and then Grey POR 15 chassis paint. New metal Etch primed, primed and top coated in original Neptune Blue, in my humble opinion the best colour there is for an early bay. Dropsides are not perfect but solid if a little bowed (rear one has been straightened) with some surface rust, the whole truck has some small dings and dents due to it's full and useful life as a workhorse, i think this adds to it's character

The engine is a stock 1600 twin port which was rebuilt during the restoration. It has had new barrels, piston & rings and the heads were reconditioned. The bottom end was checked and everything was good. Engine runs great, pulls well and will cruise happily at motorway speeds. Recently serviced the engine has done less than 1000 miles since rebuild. New battery and CV boots, gearbox is good and strong. Empi 'Hurst' style shifter fitted.

The pick up has been lowered at the front using an adjustable beam and the rear by two splines, fitted with appropriate shocks, rides well if not a little bouncy but nothing rubs or hits. Wheels are stock original wide five steels with grey painted hub caps. New tyres all round with 175/65/14's at the front and 195/60/14's on the rear. Brakes are stock drums all round.

MOT'd until Aug 2012 and tax is free.

Bad points

-Wiring is not the best because a lot of it is 42 years old but everything works. Has a push button starter.

-n/s front door has some rust coming through on the bottom edge, o/s front door has some rust where the door seal sits in the rear corner and the locker door has rust along the bottom edge.

-Cab seats are original and have some small tears/wear.

More pictures as is now and of restoration here: http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb135/jimbobmurray/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am asking £5495 ono for this nice, rare and very usable early single cab. Based in Brighton, please call Jim on 07767 483051. Viewing is both recommended and welcome.

Latest posts