1971 Deluxe Import - A blank canvas

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gvee said:
You have to leave the badge on and have the colour contrast visible ;)

I'm going to have to borrow that polisher at some point (for the daily)!

I can't be arsed moving the badge so that's happening!

The polisher is yours anytime!

Lee C said:
Getting there!!!
Bodywork looks good so far!!!!

Cheers! Not tackled that's needed attention so far - just 2 patches of welding that are needed but not for MOT and I'll get to them when I have chance!, both rear corners have been bashed in where the rear bumper has been hit and it needs a battery tray... Pretty solid though aside from that!

Had a productive day today - got plenty done, it's nearly read to slot the engine in, just the little bit of wiring to the regulator that needs sorting. Tempted to remove the diagnostic plug too but don't want to mess with too much just yet.

I've had the tank out, cleaned and installed a little gauze internal filter thing just to catch any crap that's left floating about. Will use it for a few weeks and then put a fresh one in, see how it comes out. It's had new rubber breather lines and the filler neck came out for a check and clean up.

New engine bay seals are in and firewall painted black and stuck back in.

Hopefully have the engine in by the end of next week, I'm just waiting on the powdercoaters to send back 2 blasted heat exchangers ready for me to paint with VHT paint and a moustache bar powdercoated ready to fit to the engine!

It's had a new aerial on the front, polished the front, back and pass. side now as I can reach them

The sliding door needs a new lower roller but as it's on my drive I can't swing the door out wide enough to remove it! Will have to do it when it's on the road.

FB75C435-D333-406E-9349-6779625892FE_zpsbfkw72wc.jpg

8D9F8A9B-0AA4-42D7-94A0-602FA731919E_zpsnfs0lvf3.jpg

I had some trouble finding a reasonably priced middle door bracket and lower bracket over here - it was looking to be £200 and I wasn't prepared to pay that.

A great gUy on The Samba sorted me out with 2 refurbed items, he's done a cracking job cleaning up and servicing the hinge and rollers, they're in spot on condition and never had such good service. They arrived a week after I ordered them but sat in customs for a week. Even with import tax they came in at a touch over half what they were going to cost over here.

95DC2D5C-5CCA-4184-AA61-ECEACE10C18B_zpswxoyr6p1.jpg

Great deal on the door hinges, I just need to refurb mine, and get the engine bay painted :shock:

mattyd72 said:
georgeyv said:
A great gay on The Samba sorted me out with 2 refurbed items

A bit harsh :lol:

Great thread though :D

Ha! Oops. I may have to edit that typo... Didn't ask the fella which way he swung, only which way the hinge swung!

Well, delivery from the powdercoaters that I was waiting for! The OG heat exchangers have been blasted and I've coated them in VHT exhaust paint, I've had pretty good results with it in the past so will see how it works for a year and if it's all good I'll keep it - if not I'll have them ceramic coated.

The moustache bar and front belly pan ( that covers the pedal linkages) have been powdercoated ready for re-fitting. I'm lucky to have a powdercoater next door to me at work and I unload wagons for them as they don't have a forklift - gives me a good piece of negotiating ammo when it comes to paying the bill!

614C659F-86DF-4C87-A6B7-377E5AE94CDA_zpsh9p4rq9r.jpg

FE04A417-176F-460D-B213-43FA13DB37C1_zpsuioba08a.jpg

871E2A36-1034-4C5A-B3F1-6D7A66934679_zpszi15epep.jpg

Almost ready to go back in - OG exhaust is drying as we speak ready for re-fitting - again VHT paint will see how it stands up - may have it ceramic coated if it goes bad.

D833ACCD-936B-47E8-A84A-A3B78FCC20AF_zpstwlefbax.jpg

77EE78D2-AC69-47C9-9601-D4A8261CAA5B_zpsj4znavw4.jpg

admwllms said:
Looks good George, it's getting there now!

Yeah plodding on!

How did you get on with the AC? Any luck getting it resurrected?

Got the engine finished today - it's all ready to go in now - a couple of minor niggles that I may have to work out as we go along. The carb fits and the alternator body has been clearanced to make room for the throttle to get it's full swing uninterrupted but I'm not sure the pump arm is going to foul the body? How much movement is required at full throttle? See below for how it is now...

261EEDC2-BCF9-4D5D-97A1-4720A5F1F682_zpsxt5tj0sc.jpg

07F8EC84-1CA1-4E86-89C4-58D9D9C86FE0_zpsoqksl9e9.jpg

georgeyv said:
admwllms said:
Looks good George, it's getting there now!

Yeah plodding on!

How did you get on with the AC? Any luck getting it resurrected?

To be honest mate I've been so busy packing up the house and organising ready for the move to Spain in three weeks, I've only had time to clean it. But I've had a good look online and bringing it with me and I'm actually pretty optimistic we'll get it sorted now, looks fairly simple - should be a good project to tinker with when we arrive.

Got the engine loaded up and ran it home ready to fit - waiting for a day when I can get an extra pair of hands as after much deliberation I've decided it would be pretty ridiculous to try do it on my o wn. I'll get everything buttoned up so it's ready to wheel over and bolt straight into place. I'm excited now!

Engine ready to go...

B96D4D2B-F442-4543-8075-FD5C27FD564F_zpsfkdzi7og.jpg

Rear engined peugeot...

A5BFE3DF-0CC2-4D50-91E1-49564B5662AA_zpsf1grzdks.jpg

Finally as the van is sitting now on the drive after a polish! Needs a good wash and new wiper blades and a few bits before I drive it! But ready for the engine pretty much...

299BC1F2-B8A6-4594-9689-12AE9C3B18A6_zpseochigkj.jpg

Engine in yesterday - a sizable thankyou to gveee as per usual who came to my rescue with a second jack, second pair of hands and the only knowledgable brain on hand.

Not plumbed in yet, wired in the coil and oil pressure switch, hopefully have the fuel line, heat exchangers and throttle cable linked up tomorrow (rain stopped play this evening!) - I'll get it plumbed in and then hopefully fire it up in the next day or two. I've already booked it in for an MOT next week even though it's not running yet, I work better under pressure!

Firstly wheeled it into place on my sweet home made trolley

6A29EABF-4915-4774-A265-C12E2F2F8173_zpsad1bberv.jpg

60C901AE-2E1B-4A24-997F-D350A454BAEE_zpscarv8g93.jpg

Basically a supermarket wheely pallet thing with a slot cut out so a jack fits. It made moving the engine about an absolute doddle.

Then after swearing, getting the throttle cable stuck inbetween the gearbox and engine, messing about wiggling stuff about and then finally giving everything a good size 10 boot into place, it slotted in nicely!

3389F627-16F2-4D56-AA35-B18B037311A2_zps4gjh9mws.jpg

going to get the fuel hose sorted tomorrow and give it a crack! It was chucking it down today as I tried to do it - I was laid with my legs out in the rain getting piss wet through while I pissed about with the accelerator cable!

Things are looking up!

Click below to watch...

Just need to time up properly as it sounds a bit off and takes a good pump on the pedal to get it started but seems pretty good to me! Bit of oil on the floor from where I've not torqued the sump plate properly - will address that tomorrow! Needs an accelerator cable as I absolutely mullered it fitting the engine - I fed it into the accelerator tube and then pushed the engine nearly all the way in - before realising the cable had kinked and got caught, totally snarled up and bent now! New one on order....

Getting some bits sorted after a minor dash wiring fire the other day! Only a couple of melted wires to contend with so chopped out and repaired/replaced what was needed.

I seem to have one dim tail light that I'm not sure was like that before - Do the tail lights have 2 brightnesses? 1 for sidelight and 1 for full tail light? or is just just tail light and brake light brightnesses? If so I imagine I have a loose earth... Or potentially got the connections on the rear light the wrong way round on one of the bulbs!

7A16A519-D11A-4613-AC60-FC2D246E7B68_zpsowvtu3gi.jpg

Front seat welded in, used T25 runners to fit my T25 seats that a friend upholstered for me about 5 years ago for a different project!

The runners have a couple of pretty strong welds on the sides and will be spot welded in the original places too.

89858ACA-7B9E-42E0-AFAD-3E73A7232AEC_zpskpokj9jt.jpg

Also popped round to Gveee's the other day to collect a couple of bits... Thanks again! Always bailing me out!

He had another addition since last time I visited...

6D16745D-7B09-42A5-9726-F2B60C825071_zps9qemqrdz.jpg

An eventful few days - got the brake lights working after puzzling over the switches - surely both couldn't be cooked?

Well... they were both fried. I had one ready to fit as my local GSF only had one in stock. I managed to grab one from another branch not too far away on my travels.

Out with the old...

153C4EF0-E85D-4FC6-B12F-89619372ED18_zpsdyvkqlvf.jpg

In with the new

616C4122-E020-48F4-A899-1B3BB6B0A0B4_zpscubneg4k.jpg

Immediately had working brake lights for the first time - also a quick thanks to Graham L - he pointed me in the right direction for wiring up my US import for having brake lights when I was having bother getting my head round it!

All my lights are now working, engines running seemingly OK - just need to do something about the washers. I have a universal 12v motor that I'll rig up to my original bottle, probably just drill a hole in it and feed the pipe into it then silicone round the top? I bit rogue maybe but better than £40 for one of the replacement ones with a built in motor!

Next job I'm tackling is cleaning the mud out of the doors - only just realised the bottoms are pretty shot today but not too bad, should be able to have someone weld them up without much trouble as they're not too bad...

They are jammed full of mud though!

6E97A2AE-BB24-45C8-84D2-8E74C50CA16F_zps7cttiivn.jpg

FDDFD1CA-F5EE-40FA-922D-E8EC8AFA268B_zpsy17bpadx.jpg

Latest posts