1971 Deluxe Import - A blank canvas

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd watch the accuspark fella my running issue I had been chasing a year turned out to be a shit dizzy and a really hot accuspark !!, good progress though bud. Bout time we got some local vans together

What were the symptoms with your accuspark problem? I've kept my spare bosch dizzy in the van just incase but so far it's running way better than it was before. I'll keep my eye on it though, had read a lot of pretty mixed reviews but it I had it sat in the garage so it went on!

Lacking motivation this week due to a baby who has decided to forget what sleep is. Tried straightening the bumpers a bit via running them over with the forklift. Worked a treat on the rear which is now battered but useable. The front is still a bit wonky but will pack the mounts out with a couple of washers to lean it forwards a bit.

Bus looks crap without the front bumper!

IMG_20160912_105815_zpsphr5lz6s.jpg

IMG_20160913_140125_zpsdyxnogiu.jpg

IMG_20160912_105844_zpsjycivh7c.jpg

IMG_20160912_105835_zpsccx1qfet.jpg

Got a few bits on the way back from the powdercoaters and some fresh bumper step rubbers coming so I can re-fit the bumper. Had the splash pan bits off the rear bumper coated but my rear lower corner on one side is absolutely mullered so should really get the battery tray and corner replaced before I re-fit the rear...

Hardly had a second on the bus recently, unfortunately got made redundant and started a new job. Less money for more work, but at least it puts a roof over my head and food on the table!

Managed to source a Bosch re-con alternator as mine is knackered. Will put it in at some point over winter when the engine comes out- hopefully soon and I can also stick the twin weber carbs on while it's out!

IMG_20161124_211332_zpsgsdhxsne.jpg

Had to pop up to the unit this week and have a shuffle about. Apparently my old man couldn't get his two vehicles in, as mine were in the way. I think he's being selfish and should just let me store whatever I want in there!

Dragged mine out to have a clear out and make room so they could all fit back in!

IMG_20161115_133149_zpstiayuxch.jpg

Finally, my mrs did a sterling job for my birthday with a toolbox to go in the bus (it's been affectionately named Catbus by our little girl) - I'll be sticking a few bits on the christmas list to go in the toolbox and it'll live in the van!

IMG_20161116_195857_zpsqloztdom.jpg

Work situation is back to something half decent, back at the old place with my bus in the unit so can have a few hours here and there to work on it!

Going over it at the moment for the MOT, first thing I noticed was that three of the tie rod boots were perished (a year old, stored indoors - what a joke!) so ordered some Meyle ones from VWH, they seem to fit the bill well.

I've never done tie rods before so went and bought a ball joint tool and whipped one of the arms off - the boots were easy to get off with a flathead screw driver, I wasn't precious as they were scrap anyway. Gave the joint a clean out and some grease and then stuck the new boot on. The new ones came with these blue clips that were just the absolute devils work. I used two pairs of pliers and some brute force/swearing and got them on OK and re-fitted. Not yet torqued them up as they're the castellated type and haven't read in the book how to do it right!

Not much work for now but it's a start!

Engines got to come out for a new alternator and carbs soon, then MOT time I think!

Due to being useless, I've not done much on the bus recently.

Last week I managed to finally get the engine out to sort some issues and fit the twin carbs. I'll be running Weber 34 ICT's on the stock fuel pump and have a new Bosch alternator to fit.

Had a few hours today so fitted a quickshift kit too, won't finish setting it up until the engine is back in etc but seems decent for now!

Getting there bud, it's hard to find time when you're grafting & there's a wife n baby at home!!!!
Slowly slowly catchy monkey!!!

Bloody hell it's been slow going...

Engine out, ended up with some CB manifolds. Just waiting on vac hose / fuel hose / linkage rods before it's all back together and ready to go in.

Looking much better already. Hopefully it runs OK

Also debating if I should go with an electric fuel pump or stick with the stock. I have a 12v motorbike fuel pump which works just like the CB rotary pump. They put out about 3.5psi and auto shut off when the carbs are full and kick back in when the needle valves open back up. Just wondering if it will keep up with the demand, but the last one I ran on a bank of 4 carbs in a Mk1 Golf 1600 and it never missed a beat!

Gveee kindly sent me a wiring diagram for a fuel pump relay so I may just get it sorted while the engine is out and give myself the option down the line.

Fuel pump from a Yamaha bike I think...

Exhaust letting it down... On the look out for a cheap stainless job if anyone has one...

Looking good pal, may need to give me some pointers as I'm fitting my Ict's soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marshy said:
Looking good pal, may need to give me some pointers as I'm fitting my Ict's soon

Going in pretty blind myself - so much conflicting info online.

What manifolds and linkage are you using?

They come with a hex bar linkage and empi twin port manifolds, but as my motor is single port these are pretty useless lol, probably buy the cb ones.

Yeah get the CB ones! I've got CB twin port ones, the empi ones were a bit shit and a bit too short, the carb fouled the fan housing so would've needed a small spacer. Do you have a brake servo on your bus? I was in the process of getting my empi manifolds tapped for vac when I realised they were shit, luckily a good used set of CB manifolds came up!

I've been super slack recently. Work and family commitments along with writing my daily off have put the bus on the back burner.

I got a trailer tent locally a couple of weeks ago and it's inspired me to crack on with the van - it means as a family of 4 we can still take the bus camping without worrying about space! It's massive and has a huge awning too.

Today I just fitted handles to the cab doors and got the handle trim on. Got a heater cable to fit this week which looks like a sod of a job!
ccf42327c3a22ed40c57a2ffde3b0982.jpg
d95e80b7f911c6a01789a41be9908af8.jpg
4eeb9416ea3d57a2620ce1b72fcafd8b.jpg
f7db0c1852f3d5d1b110ed74e6bbe405.jpg
1978d35a413950f914ed2ef5ca5d9a98.jpg

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

Latest posts