• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1971 Dormobile Early Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksoncaddy

Reaction score
I have pretty much decided to sell my camper, i'm 85% certain but personal circumstances leave me with the need for a more modern car, but we'll see! I said i'd never sell so it's a bit of a feeler at the moment, but I won't mess anybody around.

1971 Dormobile Early bay.

Right.

Engine.
Recon 1600 TP engine, rebuilt 1100 miles ago.
New Weber ICT 34's, professionally set up
New Alternator
New 009 Distributor
New Silicon Leads
Electronic Ignition
Recent service, Plugs, fan belt, oil, valves etc
All fuel lines replaced
ceramic header
ceramic J tubes
Stainless steel quiet pack muffler

Engine pulls really well and drives 100%. Its never let me down. Runs at perfect temp and it uses next to no oil.

Drivetrain

four new CV joint kits fitted,
new clutch cable
Empi quickshift
gear box is a little bit noisy, but it's easy to select all gears, even to change down from 4th to 2nd.
Polished Empi 5 wheels, in perfect condition. Rear tyres are 185 65 15's and fronts are 185 60 15's. All with less than 500 miles on.
Lowered one spline at the back and has a cut and turned beam at the front.

Body.

The body and underside are 100% rust free. Underneath is solid all round and was undersealed over the winter.
Body is in good condition and was resprayed Turkis green and Cloud white a year ago. It shines nicely and being celulose is easy to touch up.
All new seals, doors, sliding door, engine lid, boot.
The pop top doesn't leak and works as it should, the canvas is also in fair condition, clean but shows it's age a touch. Doesn't leak at all though.
The roof rack is included, and looks the part on the back.
Sidestep fitted

Interior.

Mad Matz carpet and walk through, just a few months old.
Empi bucket seats which are very comfortable! These are on runners so you can still adjust.
Laminate effect vinyl flooring in the back
Biscuit coloured professionally trimmed door cards, nine in total
New JK Rock n Roll full width bed, slept on once!
Electrical hook up kitted fitted over the winter
JK Table kit with chrome leg, which is removeable for extra space.
All electrics work as they should

Bad points.

Some of the panels don't line up as well as they should. The worst is the sliding door at the bottom. It's never really bothered me, but I can't speak for everyone.
No stereo fitted, which was my next job.

It's a ready to roll bus, no work needed, just jump in and go. I was going to have a narrowed beam installed on the front to make the wheels sit further under the arches, but this obviously is personal taste!

Obviously tax exempt, with a tax disc until March next year. MOT is until end of August. Last year it sailed through with no advisories.

This bus was on the Early bay line up at VolksWorld this year.

This is a really nice vehicle, turns heads wherever it goes and more importantly it is reliable. Most of the mechanical work was carried out by Pete Nice (Aircooled Technic) from this forum, and those that know him will know
the quality of his work.

Looking for £7995.

I have probably forgotten loads but, I will add to this as I go.

DSCF3432.jpg

DSCF3433.jpg

DSCF3434.jpg

DSCF3435-1.jpg

DSCF3436.jpg

DSCF3437.jpg

DSCF3438.jpg

Where is your location.?

The vw looks well, I am quite interested. Looked at one yesterday that we liked but have had no reply.
Need one for this summer...
Regards David & Mary

Hi there
Is your camper still up for sale and if so can my wife and I come and view it this weekend if at all possible please.
Cheers.Ant

Latest posts