1971 niagra blue deluxe microbus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patina man

Reaction score
ok, here goes, i bought this deluxe microbus from illinois on just a few pics and a brief description. anyway here it is, a good buff, a bit of welding on the outer sills and a tinker with the brakes and on the road it would be. how wrong.

any a few months passed and the bus arrived in sunny cornwall.

i was a bit shocked when it arrived, the previous owner has gone over every little rust spot or mark with a resin based rust eater, which made the bus look bad and would not come off. also what was described to me as original paint, no accident damage, and no previous welding was wrong too. i hate it when people are not honest about what they are selling.

so anyway, what was going to be a quick 2/3 month turnaround has turned into 18 month (so far) of full resto using as much of the original bus as i can. enjoy.

so here is the start of the resto, don't seem to have any full pics of it when it arrived.

rear corner not too bad looking, but full of filler, you can just about see the cracking around the reversing light.

rear o/s rear arch

rear o/s front arch. the mark in the middle is actually a small hole in aluminium sticky foil, with a skim of filler over.

o/s front dogleg to floor

Holy sh1t, plenty to do.. I guess they're not all solid imports :? What's the chassis and interior like ?
One of my favourite colours though !
Soon be right mate
Good luck with it

engine runs just, but is leaking like a sieve so will be replaced. rear valance is banannared so a replacement will be needed.

filler and rot

o/s front closing panel, not original paint now black underseal chipped off. the underneath of the bus is actually very solid.

onto battery tray and rear o/s corner

note the thick filler around the reverse light aperture

old for new

cut out time

in position

Looks great so far!

It's a shame when you find all the hidden nasties, but you look well equipped to get them sorted!

Good luck!

Latest posts