1972 Dormobile

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72_dormobile

Reaction score
I have a LHD 1972 dormobile in Canada. I was wondering if anyone knew if this was rare or not, i would think most would be RHD's? thanks for any info. :D

016-4.jpg

028-1.jpg

012-2.jpg

I reckon your LHD dormie is very rare indeed. I don't recall having seen another.

I think you mentioned in your thread over in the gallery that the first owner collected it in this country, so I'm thinking it could have been a special order for him. :D

The old man I bought it off told me his parents (who lived in England) had the Dormobile ordered in LHD because it was immediately being shipped to Quebec Canada (which all cars are lhd) for a 2 year road trip, and it made sence to have it on the proper side. They then could leave it in Canada at the end of the trip.

I do wonder if there is any other LHD's around!?

Who knows but if it isn't I'd definitely say they would've have been built in very limited numbers, and probably only to special orders such as your van.

I believe Dormies were exported to Australia (RHD of course), as I've seen them advertized back in this country, but as for LHD versions it'll be interesting to see whether any others turn up. I'll keep my eyes peeled anyway. :D

The dormobile brochure does state LHD as a special order.
I think I remember seeing a LHD dormobile on the samba a while back, was a red crossover if I recall correctly (could have been yours) but vaguely remember it being in the US, have a search on there.

thanks for the info everyone. I am curious to know how many '72 (crossover) bus's were done in lhd, hmmmmm

There's another one here on EB, so I discovered last night when browsing.... but I can't remember who! :roll:
I'll find it again later for you. :D

Latest posts